Women’s lacrosse stumbles 12-5 at Bowdoin

On Saturday, women’s lacrosse (8-7, 3-5 in the NESCAC) took on Bowdoin in a hard-fought battle ending in a 12-5 loss. Despite recognizing the strength of the Polar Bear squad, the Ephs were disappointed by the margin of their loss. “The score was very unexpected,” co-captain Julia Schreiber ’11 said. “They should not have beaten us by so much. We were frantic the entire game.” The loss to Bowdoin came after Hamilton handed the women a tough 14-9 defeat on April 19.

Bowdoin came out strong, getting on the scoreboard less than a minute into play. Rookie attacker Emily Jablonski ’14 was quick to retort with a goal assisted by Kaitlin Ellis ’12 just seven minutes into the first half. Fellow rookie Becca McGovern ’14 kept the momentum going with another goal a minute later assisted by Margie Fulton ’12. McGovern’s goal put the Ephs on top of the Polar Bears at 2-1 after 10 minutes of play in the first half. However, Bowdoin retaliated with a streak of five unanswered goals, earning back its lead for a 6-2 tally. Ellis finally halted the Polar Bears’ momentum with a goal with less than 10 minutes left in the half. Bowdoin, however, responded by winning the ensuing draw control and scoring 30 seconds later. That goal brought the score to 7-3 at the half.

Bowdoin maintained its strength in the second half. The Polar Bears’ star attacker, Katie Stewart, had her way with the Ephs’ defense and scored three consecutive goals within the first 10 minutes of the second half. Ellis finally hit the scoreboard again with an unassisted goal 24 minutes in, narrow the Ephs’ deficit to six at 10-4. Stewart scored again for Bowdoin off the next draw control, however, and increased the gap to 11-4. McGovern put herself on the board again with her second goal of the game at 25:28, but Bowdoin had the last word. The Polar Bears’ final goal came in three minutes before the final buzzer, nailing the score down at 12-5.

The women’s loss to Bowdoin came fresh off a challenging game against Hamilton. “Despite it being a mid-week game, we came prepared to play,” Schreiber said of the April 19 contest.

Hamilton started off the first half with a string of three unanswered goals, putting the score at 3-0 halfway through the first period. Meera Sivalingam ’12 put Williams on the scoreboard with an unassisted goal at 6:52 for a 3-1 tally. Hamilton struck back quickly, scoring two minutes later to regain a three-goal lead at 4-1.

The Ephs went on to notch six unanswered goals against the Continentals’ defense. McGovern began the streak with a free-position goal at 11:36. Ellis then struck less than a minute later with an unassisted goal at 11:52 to bring the score to 4-3. Jablonski got a piece of the action with a beautiful unassisted goal that sent the ball into the top right corner of the net at 13:40. McGovern scored off another free-position opportunity less than four minutes later to give the Ephs a 5-4 lead before Fulton scored two goals to widen the gap to 7-4.

Though Hamilton gained possession for the final minutes of the half, the Continentals were unable to get on the scoreboard, and the Ephs went into halftime with a 7-4 lead. Goalie Ali Hart ’14 “made quite a few key saves to help us with this momentum,” according to Schreiber.

Hamilton came back in the second half with determination and a strong offensive lineup. The opposing squad hacked away at Williams’ lead, scoring three unanswered goals in the first six minutes for a 7-7 tie. Emily Whicker ’13 was able to score off a free-position opportunity in an attempt to regain control, but Hamilton’s offense continued to dominate the game. The Continentals went on to score seven consecutive goals, winning most draw controls and maintaining possession for the majority of the second half. The Ephs’ offense did not maintain possession in the Williams offensive zone until the last five minutes of the game. Fulton was able to shovel in an unassisted goal with two minutes left, but it was not enough to put the women back on top. The Ephs finished the game with a five-goal deficit, falling 14-9 in a disappointing second half loss. Despite the loss, Schreiber and the team were pleased with their efforts: “[Hamilton is] a very quality team and we made them really work for the win,” she said.

The women will play their final game of the regular season against Middlebury on Friday at 4:30 p.m. “The team’s ability to hang with one of the best teams in the nation [in Hamilton will] instill a sense of confidence in us,” Schreiber said.