Men’s tennis splits week

Tenth-ranked men’s tennis (10-6, 3-2 in the NESCAC) lost to Middlebury on Sunday, falling 7-2. The loss came after a successful week for the men, who defeated 14th-ranked Bowdoin on Saturday with a score of 5-4 and overcame Skidmore 8-1 on Wednesday.

Middlebury swept the doubles, leaving the men down 3-0 early in the match. Bryan Chow ’13 and Matt Micheli ’14 lost 8-6 in the No. 1 position, while captain Will Petrie ’12 and Kevin Shallcross ’12 lost another close match 9-7 in the third spot. Trey Meyer ’13 and Felix Sun ’13 were unable to overcome their opponents, losing 8-2.

Middlebury won all but two matches in the singles. Four of the matches went into three sets as the Ephs fought against the Panthers, with Sun losing in the first position (6-3, 5-7, 6-2), Meyer falling in the third position (5-7, 6-3, 10-3), Zach Weiss ’13 stumbling in the fourth spot (4-6, 7-6, 10-4) and Dylan Page ’13 losing in the sixth spot (5-7, 6-1, 6-3).

“Middlebury is a good team, and having not really been pushed last week, we didn’t come ready to play at another level. We were flat and it cost us,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 said.

On Saturday, the men defeated Bowdoin by a score of 5-4. The men had a 2-1 deficit coming out of the doubles, as Chow and Micheli lost in the first position 9-7 and Petrie and Shallcross were defeated in the third spot 8-5. Sun and Meyer, however, were able to overcome their opponents and won 8-3.

The Ephs came back in the singles to win four of six matches. Micheli scored a victory in the second position, defeating his opponent in three sets, 6-3, 1-6, 6-2. Chow cruised to victory in the fifth position, with a score of 6-0, 6-2.

The men were victorious on Wednesday as they defeated Skidmore 8-1. The Ephs swept the doubles, with Chow and Micheli winning 8-6 in the first position, Sun and Meyer taking the second spot 8-2 and Petrie and Shallcross defeating their opponents 8-6 in the third position.

The men were successful in the singles, winning all but one match. Sun was dominant in the first position, winning 6-0, 6-0 victory. “When Felix is focused and sharp, it’s very hard to win a point, let alone a game, on him,” Greenberg said. “At this point of the year, though, he needs to sustain that level through entire matches, doubles and singles, because the top players won’t give him anything easy.” Weiss was also dominant, winning 6-2, 6-3 in the fourth position.

The men will play today at home at 4:15 p.m. against Trinity and will then host Bates on Saturday at 2 p.m.