Men’s golf claims 2nd in NESCAC season opener

Men’s golf finished second overall in Sunday’s shortened NESCAC spring opener. Saturday’s inclement weather forced the Taconic Golf Club to close and caused the first round of play to be canceled. The men fell to first-place Middlebury by only two strokes at the close of Sunday’s play.

Jack Ervasti ’13 led the way for the Ephs on Sunday, posting a 74. Co-captain Jack Killea ’11 was close behind, finishing with a 75. Killea’s fellow co-captains finished out the team’s scoring five: Bob Camp ’11, Jake Wagner ’11 and Drew Murray ’11 each finished with a 77 on the day to garner the team a second-place finish.

In the interest of building up younger players’ repertoire of experience, Williams sent a number of rookies to the links on Sunday as well. Ross Bowen ’14 carded a strong 76, with teammate Matt McCarron ’14 not far behind with a 78. Dylan Dethier ’14 and Cody Semmelrock ’14 each finished the day with a total of 79. Alex Xu ’13 shot an 84, Rishi Srinagesh ’13 and Jake Abrahams ’14 each finished with 87s and Chris Valle ’12 recorded a 91.

Despite falling to Middlebury, the Williams squad bested Trinity, Hamilton, Amherst and Wesleyan on the day. Middlebury’s Jim Levins took first overall, while Ervasti tied for second and Killea tied for fourth individually.

“With Sunday’s performance, we’ve proven once again that we’re an incredibly deep team with talent all across the board,” Killea said. “Unfortunately, the weather hasn’t cooperated as we had hoped at this point in the spring, so it’s been difficult for everyone to find the consistency that we want to see.”

“We could have scored better, but I think a number of factors like weather, course conditions and the lay-off from spring break played against us a bit,” Head Coach Rick Pohle said. “Generally though, I was pleased with the efforts put forth by a number of our players.”

The men’s regular season is quickly coming to a close: Williams will host the Little Three championship at the Taconic Golf Club on Wednesday in the hopes of claiming the program’s 14th consecutive Little Three title. Following Wednesday’s match-up, the men will travel to Middlebury for the NESCAC championship on Saturday and Sunday, where the Ephs will look to claim an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament, which kicks off May 9 in Greensboro, N.C.

“With an entire week to focus on areas of improvement, I think we’re in great shape heading into what we have always considered the two most important events of the year,” Killea said.

“We are a bit hungrier to compete in the next couple of events after coming up a bit short on Sunday,” Pohle said. “We have to focus on Wednesday’s Little Three Championship first before we can turn our attention to the NESCAC Championship this weekend.”