Cycling ends season strong

The cycling team wrapped up the collegiate road racing season with Dartmouth’s L’Enfer Du Nord series and the University of New Hampshire’s Live Free or Ride Hard series on April 16 and 17.

On April 17, the team competed in the team time trial (TTT) and road race hosted by the University of New Hampshire. The 9.6-mile TTT was made challenging for the men’s ‘D’ team after a bad turn robbed Henry Schmidt ’14 of momentum, forcing John Hawthorne ’13 and Todd Brenner ’14 to fight to regain a rhythm. However, the team was able to pound over the terrain to take fourth with a time of 31:20.
In the men’s ‘C’ road race, captain Erik Levinsohn ’12 rode one lap with the lead group before pulling away. Unfortunately, Levinsohn was pulled back, finishing eighth. Amy Levine ’14, in the women’s ‘C’ race, rolled off the front of the peloton with just under a lap to go. Levine finished first, eight minutes before the pack. The men’s ‘D’ racers stuck together for the first half-lap before Schmidt exited the race. After Brenner dropped his chain, Hawthorne finished fifth and Brenner finished 29th.

On April 16, the team competed in an individual time trial (ITT) and criterium at Dartmouth. Competing in the men’s ‘C’ class, Levinsohn rolled to a first-place finish in 11:44. Levine, competing in women’s ‘C,’ took second in a time of 15:48. The men’s ‘D’ squad of Hawthorne, Schmidt and Brenner took third, seventh and 11th, respectively (13:16, 14:17 and 14:48).

Later, racers took to Dartmouth’s “Frat Row” criterium course, which consisted of 15 to 20 laps on a 0.75-mile loop with three sharp turns in excess of 90 degrees. In men’s ‘D,’ Hawthorne rode to eighth and Schmidt finished 17th. In men’s ‘C,’ Levinsohn finished in 32nd while Levine took 27th in women’s ‘C.’

“The team did a great job this year of training … and continuing to ramp up intensity throughout the season.” Levinsohn said. The team will compete in amateur events throughout the spring.