Women’s track showcases talent at Brown Invitational

Women’s track competed in the non-scoring Brown Outdoor Invitational on Saturday, taking on teams from Brown, UMass-Lowell, Boston University, Bryant and Fairfield. Despite poor weather, the women performed well in Providence.

Although many of the competitors were from Div. I programs, the Ephs proved their talent with many great performances. One of the women’s strongest results came from Brooke Johnson ’13, who won the triple jump with an 11.38-meter mark and placed sixth in the long jump with a jump of 5.17 meters. Johnson’s triple jump hit the provisional qualifier for Div. III NCAAs.

Rookie Jenna Adams ’14 won the pole vault with a jump of 3.35 meters, and Sara Turner ’12 tied for second in the high jump with a season best jump of 1.55 meters. Amina Avril ’14 placed third in the hammer throw with a throw of 49.31 meters. Her throw also provisionally qualified her for Div. III NCAAs. In addition to her strong performance in the hammer, Avril also competed admirably in the discus and shot put, taking third in the discus throw with a distance of 40.59 meters and placing ninth in shot put with a distance of 11.39 meters. Eileen Becker ’13 also qualified for Div. III New Englands, ECACs and NESCACs in the shot put.

“In the field events, Amina had an excellent series in the hammer and finished with a strong provisional qualifier for NCAAs,” Head Coach Fletcher Brooks said.

In the 100-meter hurdles, Marissa Lowe ’14 and Tanasia Hoffler ’13 placed fifth and sixth, respectively, both qualifying for Div. III ECAC, Div. III New England, NESCAC and NEICAAA competition. Hoffler’s time of 14.92 also provisionally qualified her for NCAAs.

“Marissa Lowe shaved a half a second off her personal best 100 hurdle time in the trials and repeated the same outstanding effort in the final,” Brooks said. “Marissa made a breakthrough this week during hurdle practice, and it was impressive to see her replicate in a competitive setting against strong Div. I competition.”

In the 200 meter, Annie Lynch ’14 and Amanda Murashige ’14 placed fourth and sixth, respectively, both qualifying for Div. III New England and NESCAC competition. In the 400-meter hurdles, Maya Harakawa ’12 placed fourth with a time of 1:07, qualifying her for Div. III New Englands and NESCACs.

The women’s early season qualifiers will be crucial later in the championship season, as the coaches will have multiple athletes available to produce winning combinations.

In the 3000-meter steeple, Sarah Tory ’11 placed fifth with a time of 11:34. This time qualified her for ECACs and marked a large improvement from the previous meet at UMass-Amherst.

In the 3000 meter, Marisa Repka ’14 placed sixth with a time of 10:08. Although this is not a regular event, and accordingly could not qualify her for any of the championship meets, it is an indicator of future success for Repka this season.
“I was very pleased with Marisa Repka’s 3k, a time which would have qualified for Nationals if it were still an NCAA event,” Brooks said.

A noticable absence from the meet was the women’s lone javelin thrower, co-captain Julia Cohan ’11. Cohan recently injured her throwing hand but will look to compete in the upcoming meets before the championship season. Although out of the competition, Cohan still traveled with the team to show her support. “The weather was a little unfortunate, but we still had some solid performances. Amina looked great in the hammer,” Cohan said. “We’re getting excited for championship season and domination at Little Threes.”

The women will compete in the decathlon and heptathlon at Holy Cross on Wednesday and Thursday. The women will also compete at Princeton in the Larry Ellis Invite on Friday and Saturday.