Women’s lacrosse trounces Wesleyan

Women’s lacrosse (7-5, 2-4 in the NESCAC) went head-to-head with conference rival Wesleyan on Saturday. In a matchup that was tight through both halves, Williams came out on top, winning 19-16. The women also conquered Skidmore 11-8 on Wednesday.
Williams came out strong against Wesleyan, winning the first two draw controls and scoring two consecutive goals within the first two minutes of play. Emily Jablonski ’14 assisted Anne Marie Burke ’11 to score less than a minute in before snagging a goal of her own at 1:46. The Pioneers answered with a free-position goal at 2:52, but they were quickly outdone by a streak of three goals from the Ephs. Rookie powerhouse Rebecca McGovern ’14 scored her first goal of the day at 4:01, with Margie Fulton ’12 following suit at 5:24 to put the Ephs up 4-1. After Jablonski assisted Fulton’s goal, she scored again to bring the score to 5-1 in the women’s favor.
“We handled the ball well and made some good decisions on passes and led well into the goal opportunities,” Head Coach Chris Mason said.

The Pioneers changed the momentum of the game with four unanswered goals through the middle 15 minutes of the half, hacking away at the Ephs’ lead and tying the game 5-5 with 10 minutes left in the first half.

Williams responded with a free-position goal by Katie Pettengill ’13 with less than 10 minutes remaining. Fulton and Kaitlin Ellis ’12 teamed up for two goals: Fulton assisted Ellis for a goal at 7:57, and Ellis fed Fulton at 22:36 to make the score 8-5. Wesleyan fought back, adding two more goals before Jablonski assisted Ellis for her second goal with a minute remaining to make the score 9-7. Wesleyan attacker Allie Lynch scored with less than 10 seconds left in play, bringing the score to 9-8 at the half.

Both teams returned from halftime rejuvenated and prepared to do battle. Wesleyan was first to the scoreboard, with a goal three minutes into the half. Jablonski scored the Ephs’ 10th goal – and her third – at 4:33 off a free-position shot. McGovern then assisted Fulton for another goal at 6:32 to make the score 11-9. Wesleyan fought back with two goals in the next minute to tie the game, but the Cardinals’ comeback was thwarted by a goal from Emily Whicker ’13 10 minutes into the half, which allowed Williams to regain the lead at 12-11. Ellis then assisted Fulton a few minutes later to make the women’s lead 13-11.

McGovern capitalized on this momentum with a beautiful low free position shot and goal at 11:45. Jablonski scored at 13:06, and with an assist from Ellis, Pettengill netted another goal at 14:08. Jablonski topped off the team’s six-goal streak with her fifth goal of the game at 16:42. The score was 17-11 with about 17 minutes remaining in the contest. Wesleyan scored their fourth goal of the half at 16:58, and Ellis fired back with a goal less than 30 seconds later to make the score 18-12. McGovern pounced off a free-position shot, bringing the score to 19-12.

The Pioneers attempted a comeback in the final 10 minutes of the game with aggressive defense, draw-control victories and possession for the majority of the end of the game. They were able to score four goals in the last five minutes of the game, but it was not enough to catch up to the Ephs, who won 19-16.

Starting goalie and conference star Julia Schreiber ’11 was injured and out for the game, putting rookie Ali Piltch ’14 in net; Piltch stepped up to the plate, playing the entire game and making eight saves. Jablonski, with five goals and four saves, led the team in points, followed by Ellis with six points.

“Schreiber is still out today … She’s a very good goalkeeper, so it’ll be tough for us without her,” Mason said. “Defense is going to have to play a lot better with the changes. We’re hoping [Schreiber will] be able to join us again for the last couple of games. In Julia’s absence, we’ll really have to posses the ball well. Ali handled the situation very well; she stepped up and was poised. It helped that she had the full support of the team.”

The women snagged this win coming off another victory in Wednesday’s 11-8 victory against Skidmore. The Ephs led the Thoroughbreds in shots, ground balls and draw-controls, asserting dominance across the field. McGovern put the women on the scoreboard first with an unassisted goal at 3:08. Skidmore quickly responded with a goal less than a minute later, tying it up at 1-1.
Four unanswered Williams goals – one from Jablonski, one from Fulton and two from Ellis – put the Ephs up 5-1 only 15 minutes into the period. Skidmore attempted a comeback, scoring a goal with 10 minutes left in the first half, but the women quickly shut down the Thoroughbreds’ efforts with another four-goal streak. Ellis began the run with an unassisted goal at 20:19, closely followed by a free-position goal from Meera Sivalingam ’12 to put the Ephs on top 7-2. Fulton assisted Stephanie Gallo ’14 for her first goal of the game at 25:34, and Pettengill topped off the half by scoring with a little over a minute remaining. The score was 9-2 at the half.
Though the Ephs dominated the first half of the game, the Thoroughbreds came back in full force in the second, maintaining possession of the ball for most of the half. McGovern scored less than four minutes into play with a free-position shot to put the women in the lead 10-2, but Skidmore responded with a series of five unanswered goals that brought the score to 10-7 with eight minutes remaining. McGovern struck again with two minutes remaining. Her score was quickly answered by a final goal from the Thoroughbreds for a final tally of 11-8 in the Ephs’ favor.

The women played Hamilton on Tuesday, but results came in too late to report. They look to keep their momentum up in their game against Bowdoin on Saturday at 1 p.m.