Softball splits against Cardinals

Softball (11-10, 2-4 in the NESCAC) earned its first two NESCAC wins over conference rival Wesleyan this weekend. The Ephs went 2-1 against the Cardinals during their three-game series, defeating the Cardinals 11-4 on Friday and splitting Saturday’s doubleheader with an 8-0 loss in the first game and a 14-5 victory in the late game.

Megan Casey ’13 took the 8-0 loss in the opening game of the doubleheader due to the league’s mercy rule, as the women were unable to push a run across. Casey falls to 4-5 with the loss; she gave up eight runs on 13 hits over four innings of work.

Despite the early loss, the Ephs rallied to beat the Cardinals 14-5 in the second game of the day. Williams took the lead early in the second game, plating a run in the first inning before coming on strong to score four runs in the second. Cedar Blazek ’13 led the offense for Williams, going four for five in the game, scoring twice and nailing four RBIs. Kaitlin Dinet ’13 and pitcher Mary Beth Daub ’11 also contributed, both getting two hits in their four at-bats. Dinet also contributed a run and three RBIs, while Daub closed the game with two runs and one RBI.

After the women took the lead in the second, Wesleyan came back to score four in the bottom of the third and tighten the game to 5-4. The women responded immediately, registering four more runs in the top of the fourth to increase their lead to 9-4. Williams added another in the fifth when Dinet hit a home run down the line in right field. The Cardinals tacked on another run in the bottom of the fifth to make the score 10-5 after five innings of play. The Ephs sealed the deal in the seventh, however, as they scored four more runs to earn a 14-5 win.

“We just tried to forget about the first game and take things one pitch at a time,” co-captain Caitlyn Cain ’11 said. “We had won on Friday, so we knew we could do it.”

The women also crushed Wesleyan 11-4 on Friday. Daub pitched all seven innings for the Ephs, earning her fifth win of the season. The Ephs and Cardinals traded leads in the first two innings, but the Ephs pulled away in the third, scoring three runs to make the score 4-1. Blazek hit a double to right centerfield, driving Dinet and Theresa Legan ’14 home. Rookie Ally Ensor ’14 followed suit, singling to centerfield and bringing Blazek home.

Co-captain Carly Ameen ’11 hit her first home run of the year to bring the score to 6-2 heading into the seventh. Ensor hit another RBI single in the seventh to make it a 7-2 game. Ali Graebner ’14 finished off the Cardinals for the Ephs, nailing her first career home run, a grand slam stunner that brought the score to 11-2. Wesleyan scored two more in their last at bat to bring the score to 11-4, but Williams prevailed to take the opening game of the series.

“We went into the batter’s box with without fear and scored a lot of runs,” Cain said.

The women will play a doubleheader against Keene State today at 3:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. The women will then return to NESCAC play with three games against Hamilton at home on Friday and Saturday before taking on RPI in another doubleheader on Monday. They will close out the week with two games against Skidmore on Tuesday.