Men’s track performs at Brown

Men’s track and field competed at the Brown Invitational this weekend. Although a team score was not kept, Williams was still able to showcase the talents of its members.

“On a day not conducive to [personal record] performances, our athletes gained the experience of competing for places, practicing strategies of how to run, jump and thrown in windy, cold conditions and how to stay focused and upbeat as a team,” Assistant Coach Pete Farwell said. “That’s always valuable in future situations.”

One particular group that prevailed against the unfavorable conditions was the men’s throwing squad. “The biting cold made most everyone stiff, but our throwers battled well against one of the best throwing cores in the Northeast [Brown] and produced some breakthroughs to lead the team towards the Little Three, NESCAC and New England championships in the coming four weekends,” Assistant Coach Mitchell Baker said.

Syvad Young ’12 placed fifth in the shot put with a personal best throw, while Rusty Cowher ’12 came in seventh. In the discus throw, it was Cowher who threw to a personal best, placing third, while Young placed seventh. In the hammer throw, Stephen Simalchik ’13 garnered third, while Cowher threw another personal best for sixth. Simalchik placed third in the javelin, an event won by the third-ranked Div. I javelin thrower from Brown.

The action on the track started with the 3000-meter steeplechase in which Tommy Gaidus ’13 and Steve Mendoza ’13 placed fifth and seventh. Both Ephs qualified for the NESCAC meet, with Gaidus also qualifying for the Div. III New England meet.

Next up was the 4×100 meter relay run by Matt Sullivan ’11, Taylor Fitzgerald ’12, Rich Fusco ’12 and Jabulani Blyden ’13. The squad finished fourth overall. Each member of the relay also ran in other events: Sullivan placed second in the 400-meter hurdles in a personal best time, while Fitzgerald placed seventh in the 400 meter and second in the 200 meter, Fusco placed fifth in the 100 meter and seventh in the 200 meter and Blyden ran to fourth in both the 110-meter and 400-meter hurdles.

Chris Fogler ’13 demonstrated his versatility this weekend, placing eighth in the 110-meter hurdles and third in the high jump. He was followed in the high jump by Tomas Kearney ’12 in fifth and Ben Atkinson ’11 in 11th. Kearney also jumped to third in the triple jump as Steve Rubin ’11 finished in fourth. Additionally, Rubin took second in the long jump. Johnny Ray Hinojosa ’13 finished second in the pole vault, qualifying for Div. III New Englands.

Josephat Koima ’12 raced to fifth in the mile, with Will Palmer ’11 following in seventh. In the 800 meter, Nehemiah Paramore ’14 and Peter Young ’13 both ran to season-best times to qualify for NESCACs.
The 4×400 meter relay of Fitzgerald, Fusco, Fogler and Blyden edged out Brown for the win, with Blyden in having a great anchor leg coming from a short deficit.

“It was good to see people competing … but there is no denying that we certainly have work to do if we are to perform like we want to in the next few weeks,” co-captain Dan Franck ’11 said.

The men will compete again this weekend, with some of the men going to the Larry Ellis Invitational at Princeton on Friday and the Little Three Championship at Amherst on Saturday.