Men’s tennis sweeps NESCAC competitors

Men’s tennis (8-5, 2-1 in the NESCAC) took two matches against conference foes this weekend. On Sunday, the men defeated Conn. College 9-0. The day before the men also swept their opponents, taking Wesleyan down 9-0.
“We didn’t have a great week of practice,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 said about the men’s preparation for this weekend. “We wanted to sharpen up the details, which fortunately paid off.”

The men started out strong against Conn. College, winning the doubles matches 3-0. The number one position team of Bryan Chow ’13 and Matt Micheli ’14 defeated their opponents 8-4. In the number two spot, Felix Sun ’13 and Trey Meyer ’13 were equally successful, also beating their opponents 8-4. Captain Will Petrie ’12 and Kevin Shallcross ’12, making up the number three team, were able to overcome their Camel opponents with an impressive score of 8-3.

All of the Ephs were successful in the singles matches, with no player giving up more than three games. Sun continued his impressive day in the No. 1 spot, winning his match 6-1, 6-2. Behind him, in the second spot, Micheli was able to overcome his opponent 6-0, 6-3. Zach Weiss ’13 was able to overcome his opponent in the fourth singles position 6-1, 6-0. Shallcross had a notable day in the sixth singles slot, blanking his Camel opponent 6-0, 6-0.

“Bryan and Matt are looking better every week,” Greenberg said. “They’re making more serves and returns and closing at the net much better, making it easier to finish points. With that, their attitude and chemistry have really improved. Zach and Kevin looked good, too, only dropping one game between them in singles. That’s impressive focus on their part.”

On Saturday, the men were equally successful against Wesleyan. The Ephs’ doubles teams gave up only three games in all three matches. Chow and Micheli won their match 8-1 in the No. 1 position. In the No. 2 spot, Sun and Meyer blanked their Cardinal opponents 8-0. The third position team of Shallcross and Petrie gave up only two games for a final score of 8-2.
The men were equally successful in the singles matches, with all seven Eph players winning easily. In the number one spot, Sun defeated his opponent 6-2, 6-1. Meyer gave up only two games in his 6-0, 6-2 victory in the number three spot. Dylan Page ’13 found success in the sixth position, winning 6-2, 6-0.

The Ephs are looking forward to the fast-approaching end of season championships and crucial matches. “With less time to practice at this point in the season, it will be crucial for us to be focused and efficient and get the most out of every step and shot,” Greenberg said.

The men will play again at home tonight, when they face Skidmore at 4:15 p.m. Then the men will host Bowdoin on Saturday at 10 a.m. before traveling to Middlebury on Sunday for a 1 p.m. match.