Enrollment updates approved by faculty

At the faculty meeting last Wednesday, a motion on tutorial enrollment policy formed by the Committee on Education Policy (CEP) was passed 69-3-4. The CEP proposed the motion after extensively examining the issue of enrollment this past fall.

The motion contained four parts, the first of which addressed the enrollment situation for tutorials. Students will no longer be able to drop a tutorial class after 4 p.m. on the day before the first organizational meeting for that class is held.

“The CEP heard numerous complaints from faculty about how disruptive it is when students drop tutorials after the first class meeting,” said Guy Hedreen, professor of art and chair of the CEP. “Student members of the CEP agreed that it could be very disruptive for them as well.”
Cadence Hardenbergh ’11, student chair of the CEP, added that due to the fact that tutorial sessions are conducted in pairs of students, it could be frustrating when a student dropped the class after the organizational meeting.

The second part of the motion states that an e-mail will be sent out to students during registration period specifying a time for students to look on PeopleSoft and examine their classes. “Barring extraordinary circumstances, if you’re listed as being in all of your classes, you’re in,” Hardenbergh said. If the classes a student registered for are not shown,then the student has been dropped from those classes.

Hardenbergh added that a similar system has not been used in the past because faculty do not always cut their classes on time. “Still, I would encourage students to e-mail their professors,” she said, adding that numerous e-mails are hard for professors to ignore.

“I think this is a victory for students,” Hardenbergh said. “It will alleviate a lot of mystery.”
The third portion of the motion states that faculty cannot cut students arbitrarily on the first day of classes. “Everyone knows that you should deal with over-enrollment before the first day of classes, but the faculty have never come together and it hasn’t been written down before,” Hardenbergh said.
The fourth part of the motion states that after pre-registration has occurred, a faculty member cannot add a cap to a class or change the existing cap.

All motions were voted on as a “package deal” according to Hardenbergh. “The CEP felt we couldn’t have one [of the motion’s parts] without the others,” she said.

“The CEP spent a considerable amount of time fine-tuning this motion in order to take into account the concerns of students, faculty and the registrar’s office,” Hedreen said. “The CEP as a whole supports it; it doesn’t represent the interests of any one constituency at the College at the expense of another.”
Hardenbergh said that she views the changes put forth in the motion as a success for students. “I think that with over-enrollment there is no simple solution,” she said. “At the end of the day, we want small classes, so not everyone is going to get into all of the classes they want.”

Hardenbergh added that the motion also addressed the problem of a lack of information that was present in the registration process previously. “One of the biggest problems with registration is that there is a lot of mystery, and [the ideas set forth in the motion] work to alleviate that,” she said.