Women’s rugby falls in season opener

Women’s rugby opened its season against RPI on Saturday, and despite home pitch advantage, the women were unable to score. RPI took the match 15-0.

RPI had a distinct competitive advantage, as the Engineers were playing their fifth match of the season while the women were competing in their first match. The match started slow, with both teams struggling to put pressure on the ball carrier. The second half began with a surge from RPI: Playing very cohesively as a team, the RPI line was able to evade Williams’ defense efforts. RPI scored two tries early on in the half, followed by a third try later on. Despite scoring three tries, RPI missed all of their conversion kicks, leading to a 15-0 tally. The Ephs made it within mere meters of the try-zone several times, but the Engineer defense stopped them each time. Co-captain Carol Tsoi ’11 kept a fast pace to the game and was often the first to the ball, playing very aggressively as flyhalf. Inside center Meredith Yang ’14 also went on several strong runs.

“For our first match of the season and an abundance of rookies on the pitch, we played a solid game and had great cohesion,” co-captain Leah Lansdowne ’11 said, “and we’re looking forward to our next match.”

The women look forward to proving themselves on Saturday when they play Sienna at their home pitch  at 11 a.m.