Women’s golf bounces back for 1st

Women’s golf established a great start to its spring season, claiming a win on Saturday and Sunday at the Vassar Invitational in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.  After trailing Amherst by one stroke after the first day, the women fought hard to clinch the victory.  The team’s 686 two-day total gave Williams a five-shot win over Amherst, who took second. Host team Vassar rounded out the top three with a total score of 700. Over spring break, the women were defeated by South Carolina State.

The team’s two day total consisted of a 167 (81-86) posted by Georgiana Salant ’14, twin 168s (83-85) carded by Becky Miller ’13 and Emily Wickstrom ’14, a 183 (95-88) shot by Victoria Student ’13 and a 187 (95-92) posted by Dale Markey ’11. Salant tied individually for third place while Wickstrom and Miller tied for fifth overall.

The rolling hills of the 114-year-old Dutchess Golf and Country Club proved a challenge for all competitors. The narrow tree-lined fairways and slick greens allowed no player to break a score of 80 either day.  However, the course proved to be in great shape coming off of the harsh winter season.

Coming off Saturday’s round, Salant’s 81 put her tied for second individually while Miller and Wickstrom both carded 83 for an individual tie for seventh. In addition, Markey and Student both scored 95 in the first round. The Ephs’ 342 total landed them in second place, one stroke behind the Jeffs with 341 and seven strokes ahead of the Brewers’ 349.

Looking ahead to the more difficult tournaments on the schedule, Head Coach Erika DeSanty said that “this win was critical for our confidence as we enter the spring, and I know we will head into this weekend more driven to prove the depth and talent of our team.”
On March 31, the women faced Div. I South Carolina State and fell 337-345. Salant led the team’s scoring with an 82, with Wickstrom carding an 83 as the Ephs’ second scorer.

The women will continue their spring season with the Jack Leaman Women’s Championship at Amherst on Saturday and Sunday.