Men’s lacrosse continues slump

Men’s lacrosse (1-7, 1-5 in the NESCAC) fell to conference rivals Conn. College and Amherst this week. Williams fell to Amherst 11-8 on Saturday after losing to Conn. College 11-2 on Wednesday. The men played Bates, Skidmore, Tufts, Endicott and Trinity for a 1-4 record over spring break.
The men faced Amherst on Saturday and, though tri-captain Matt Cranshaw ’11 believed that “[we] were ready to play and at times wanted it more than [our opponents] did,” the strong Jeff offense proved too much for the Ephs. The Jeffs scored early on with 10:06 left in the first period, but Will Stewart ’13 scored his first of four goals 4:48 into the second, tying the match at 1-1. Amherst put another goal on the scoreboard at 3:41, and then later scored on a Williams penalty to take a 3-1 lead into halftime.

Amherst scored two goals in the first five minutes of the third period at 2:22 and 3:22, respectively. Stewart struck for the second time off the next face-off, bringing the total to 5-2, but Amherst posted two more points within three minutes for a 7-2 score.

Eric Kelley ’14 then scooped up a loose ball, hitting Stephen Upton ’14 with a successful clear. Upton then passed to Mike Ryan ’12, who scored off a low shot at 4:55 in the third period. Ben Bourke ’12 then scored his first goal of the game at 3:43 off a turnover: He charged up the field to bring the score to 7-4. After another goal for the Jeffs at 2:13, Colton Growney ’13 tallied his first goal of the game in the last 15 seconds of the quarter. Growney’s score narrowed the gap to 8-5 by the end of the third period.

Amherst opened the fourth period with two quick goals at 2:27 and 3:10. Stewart responded to the Jeffs with a low left-handed shot to the back corner of the net eight minutes into the period, for a 10-6 tally. The Jeffs then sniped a shot at Evan Cohen ’12 and picked up the ball after Cohen’s save, catching the netminder off-guard to score again for an 11-6 lead. However, two of the Ephs’ most consistent scorers, Michael Acierno ’11 and Tommy Murray ’11, each notched goals at 4:51 and 3:33, respectively, for a final score of 11-8.

Despite the loss,the men improved on their weaknesses from early in the season, clearing 15 out of 17 times and taking 41 shots. Tri-captain Corey Jacobs ’11 was back in full force, winning possession in all but two face-offs. However, the men struggled with substituting successfully this game.

On Wednesday, the men faced Conn. College. The Ephs were  unable to make up for the Camels’ powerful first half. Within the first two minutes, Conn. College scored two goals for a 2-0 lead. The Camels struck twice more with goals with 5:06 and 0:28 on the clock for a 4-0 score by the end of the first.

Stewart finally put the Ephs on the board 14:14 into the second. The Camels quickly answered his goal, however, reopening their lead to four with another goal. They led 5-1 at halftime.

Mike Ryan ’12 scored the team’s second goal with two minutes left, but his effort was too late to deliver a victory for the Ephs. Conn. College added six goals in the third and fourth periods for a final score of 11-2.

Over spring break the Ephs compiled a 1-4 record. The men lost four consecutive games, falling to Trinity 12-8 on April 2 after being dispatched by Endicott and Tufts on March 29 and 26, respectively. The team also fell to Skidmore 10-6 on March 23, though Williams opened break on a positive note with a 6-5 win over Bates on March 19.

“Our team is focused on the next three weeks and our last five games. We will make every effort to execute our offensive and defensive game plans in these last games,” Head Coach George McCormack said.

The men play today at 6 p.m. against Union. Williams will then travel to Wesleyan for a 1 p.m. game on Saturday.