1199 admitted to Class of 2015

The College’s Office of Admission has admitted 1199 students to the Class of 2015 out of the 7030 who applied, marking a 17.1 percent acceptance rate. That is a drop from the 18.1 percent acceptance rate for the Class of 2014.

This year’s applicant pool marked the second highest in the College’s history, superseded only by the number of applicants to the Class of 2012.

According to Dick Nesbitt, director of admission, “it was tough making the decisions,” as “most of the students who apply are highly qualified.” He added that the size of the applicant pool is really not that significant, as the students tend to be “equally strong and diverse.”

The target class size remains 550, maintaining the goal of the previous two years. This year, 231 students were admitted early decision at a 42 percent acceptance rate, up from 39 percent last year.

“We anticipate a truly exceptional class entering in the fall,” Nesbitt said. “We look for students who can contribute in many ways to the community.”

The list of admitted students represents the College’s commitment to geographic and ethnic diversity, according to Nesbitt. Admitted students include 172 African Americans, 191 Asian Americans, 153 Latinos, 22 Native Americans and 93 international students, representing 46 different nationalities amongst the potential members of the Class of 2015. Additionally, 17 percent of admitted students would be the first in their families to attend college.

The admitted students also encompass a wide variety of interests: The list includes 19 highly rated dancers, 105 musicians, 26 thespians, 29 artists and 40 writers. Thirty-one students consider themselves politically active, and 67 students aspire to be varsity athletes. Furthermore, 87 students are QuestBridge Scholars. One hundred students have an alumni parent.

Additionally, the college classified 372 students as having “intellectual vitality,” and 176 students aspire to do scientific research or pursue a Ph.D. in science.
Out of those admitted to the College, 588 students are male and 611 are female. The top ten states represented are New York, California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Texas, Virginia and Maryland, in that order.

The academic level of the admitted students is exceptional, with 56 percent of the students expected to be valedictorian or ranked in the top one percent of their class.

The average SAT scores of admitted students were 720 in critical reading and 715 in math, slightly lower than last year’s scores of 724 and 717, respectively.

The Class of 2015 will also include 11 students who were admitted to the Class of 2014 but deferred admission for a year.

Nesbitt added that approximately 1000 students were put on the waitlist, with the expectation that somewhere between 400 and 500 will choose to remain on the list. In the past year the College has admitted around 30 people from its active waitlist.

Students have until May 1 to decide whether to enroll at the College. Over 350 admitted students are expected to attend the College’s Previews program on April 18-19.