Women’s golf preps for strong spring season

After falling just short of the NESCAC title this fall, women’s golf is gearing up for its spring season. The Ephs had a record-breaking fall season, and with four wins under their belt heading into the spring, the women look forward to repeating their successes in the upcoming tournaments. The women are currently ranked third nationally, behind top-ranked Methodist and No. 2 DePauw.

“We hope to carry momentum from the fall into the spring,” Head Coach Erika DeSanty said. “The transition tends to be more difficult than summer to fall, but hopefully the time and effort we put in during the off-season will make a difference right away.”

Co-captains Dale Markey ’11 and Aimee Weber ’11 plan on leading the team to success with the help of fellow upperclassmen Grace Gordon ’12 and Izzy Lee ’12. Also expected to contribute are Becky Miller ’13 and Victoria Student ’13, who both played in all five tournaments this fall. Rookies Emily Wickstrom ’14 and Georgiana Salant ’14 both individually medaled in tournaments during the fall season and are expected to continue their success this spring.

The Ephs are determined to succeed as they enter their spring season. “All records are meant to be broken,” Markey said. The women are particularly looking forward to meeting a tough Methodist team, which has won the NCAA title the last eight years. The Ephs will have a chance to test their skills against the Monarchs at the Amherst tournament in April.

“We have faced some difficulties this offseason but there is no reason why we can’t win every tournament this spring and go into Nationals with a great standing,” Markey said. The women’s spring tournament schedule opens with the Vassar Invitational on April 9-10.

The team will only compete in two more regular-season tournaments this spring: The Jack Leaman Invitational in mid-April and its home tournament, the Williams Spring Invitational, on April 30-May 1. Williams’ aim this season, the NCAA Championship Tournament, will be held May 10-12.