Women’s crew looks to set pace for head racing

Women’s crew is heading into this spring off a strong 2009-10 season in which the team captured the NCAA title and placed boats in first and third in the grand final. This fall, the women had a promising season with a first-place finish and a new course record by the first varsity eight at the Head of the Charles. The Ephs are now looking to earn their sixth consecutive NCAA Div. III Championship in the upcoming spring season.

With the experience the 14 new rowers have gained from the fall season, the Ephs have expanded their ranks and are now looking to launch a novice eight this spring under the direction of Assistant Coach Meg Conan.

Interim Head Coach Brad Hemmerly, who has assumed leadership of the program after serving for two years as the assistant coach, is looking to guide the women successfully through another highly anticipated spring racing season.

“It’s been a long winter of indoor training, and the team is anxious for racing season,” said co-captain Adrienne Darrow ’11. “Overall, I’m really impressed with the work ethic and level of dedication our team has shown over the offseason.”

Over spring break, the women will compete against one another and against the men in South Carolina. “Competition for each of our varsity boats is going to be intense, which is why we do some of our best racing against each other,” coxswain Becca Licht ’11 said. Novice and varsity men and women will line up March 30 for their first inter-squad race. “The team gets really excited about race day every week because the men’s and women’s boats have a chance to push each other,” Sydney Tooze ’12 said. “We’re pumped that our next race day will be on the water.”

“We’ve done a lot of training,” Hemmerly said. “We’ll have two practices on the water, and the first challenge we’ll face will be lining up against the UNC men’s club team. This is a substantial challenge, and it will really push us and give us an idea of what we need to focus on for the remainder of our spring training trip.”

On Sunday, the women will test the water for the first time since October in Myrtle Beach, S.C. “We’re so excited to head to Myrtle Beach this week and see how our hard work translates to the water,” co-captain Anna Soybel ’11 said.
The women will first face the UNC men’s team on Monday and then head up to Philadelphia to race St. Joseph’s on April 2.