Women’s squash takes on top competitors at individual tourney

After placing third in the NESCAC Championships and finishing the season ranked 10th nationally, women’s squash qualified four players – Courtney Bogle ’12, Laura Henry ’13, Allison Rubin ’13 and Alyssa Northrop ’14 – for the College Squash Association (CSA) Individual Championships, which were held at Dartmouth on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Katherine Giovinazzo of Princeton won the championship title.

Of the four qualifiers, Bogle, seeded 12th in the ‘B’ division of the tournament and the Ephs’ number one, and Rubin, seeded 23rd in the ‘B’ division and the Ephs’ number three, chose to attend Individuals and edged their way into the finals and quarterfinals, respectively.

“It’s an honor and a privilege to play in the Individual National tournament,” said Bogle. “[And] I think my and Alli’s decision to go to Individuals is a positive reflection on the Williams program.”

Having lost in the second round of the tournament, both Bogle and Rubin went into the second-round consolation draw in the ‘B’ Division of the tournament on Sunday. The ‘B’ Division included all the women who qualified for play but were not ranked in the top 32 players in the nation.

After successful performances in the consolation draw, both women competed in the quarterfinals. Rubin lost in her Saturday matchup against Cornell’s No. 4 Alexandra Glassman and was eliminated from the tournament.

“Being invited to the tournament is an honor, because not everyone can qualify,” Rubin said. “I wish I could have played more matches, but it was a really fun weekend and overall this season was really great for me. I felt like I improved a lot.”

Captain Kavitha Mannava ’11 agreed. “She was a fantastic number three,” she said of Rubin. After seeing improvement this season, Rubin moved up in the team from playing at the sixth position at the end of last year to her current spot at the third position.
Bogle managed to triumph over Middlebury’s No. 2 Abigail Jenkins in her quarterfinal matchup with a slim 13-11 clincher in the fifth game. Bogle went on to win three consecutive games in the semifinals against Princeton’s No. 9 Caroline Feeley before losing in the finals by the same margin against Trinity’s eighth-ranked player, Robyn Williams.

Head Coach Zafi Levy spoke to Bogle’s performance. “Her determination and work ethic really showed this weekend. We were very excited about the way she played,” he said.

Bogle’s finals appearance came after she trounced Wesleyan’s top player Mary Foster in three consecutive games in the semifinals on Saturday. Rubin also earned a victory in the semifinals over Brown’s No. 3 Dori Rahbar in four games on Saturday.
Bogle had a bye in the first round of competition Friday before facing Mt. Holyoke’s second-seeded Vidushi Gurunada in the second round. Bogle struggled against her opponent for the first two games but managed to scrape out wins in the third and fourth games. She ultimately lost in the fifth game.

Kicking off her weekend of play, Rubin earned a confident victory in her match over Wellesley’s number one Rosemary O’Connor in the first round on Friday. Following the win, Rubin advanced to the second round against Brown No. 1 Sarah Domenick and lost in three games.

The individual championships wrap up the women’s season. The squad will graduate just one senior, captain Mannava. The young team will look to build on this season’s strengths and successes in order to triumph in 2011-12.