Men’s track finishes regular indoor season at ECACs, prepares for NCAA Championships

Men’s track and field competed in the ECAC Championships at NYU on Friday and Saturday. The men sent a small contingent of athletes to the meet to prepare for the NCAA Div. III Championships next weekend. The men selected to compete in the event earned nine points to finish 30th out of 53 teams at the meet. Bates took home top honors on the weekend.

Co-captain Steve Rubin ’11 finished sixth in the triple jump, recording a 14.08-meter jump to earn the men three points.

The Ephs also raced in the distance medley relay. Williams fielded a team of co-captain Brian Cole ’11, Chris Fogler ’13, Jabulani Blyden ’13 and Josephat Koima ’12, who focused on honing their race and trimming their time in preparation for NCAAs. Blyden dominated in the 800-meter segment of the relay, recording a personal record in his split.
“[Jabulani’s] got amazing range in what he can run,” said Assistant Coach Joel Williams. “It’s a time that shows he’s ready to make an impact at Nationals in the four-by-four.” The men combined to finish in a time of 10:06.65 and take seventh place overall in the medley relay.

Blyden also competed in the 400 meter. He finished ninth overall with a time of 49.65 seconds. Fellow Eph Will Palmer ’11 took home a personal record in the mile with a time of 4:22.19. His mark was good enough to earn him 19th place overall.
Rusty Cowher ’12 was the sole representative in the field for the men, as he competed in the weight throw. Cowher’s throw of 17.47 meters earned him fifth overall in the event and scored the team three points.

The meet marked the last competition of the men’s regular indoor season. “I think on a lot of different levels [the indoor season’s] gone a lot better than we anticipated,” Williams said. “We thought that with injuries and having people abroad … we might have a much more difficult season, and we showed with our New England Championships that we’re still one of the top teams in the region … I think we’ve shown that we’re right on track.”

The men will next take a large number of qualified athletes to compete at the NCAA tournament on Friday and Saturday at Capital University in Columbus, Ohio for the last competition of the indoor season.

The team is confident heading into NCAAs. “We feel pretty good about everyone that is going [to Nationals],” Williams said. “We feel like every athlete that is going to Nationals has the potential to score points for us and hopefully build up our team total.”