Skiing in Style

This year’s Winter Carnival kicked off Thursday with the Community Cross Country Ski Race. About a dozen racers from the Williamstown community – each sporting flashy and creative costumes – lined up on Weston Field to compete in the two-mile race.

While the first- and second-place winners each took home a Mr. Potato Head set, it was the prize for the best costume – a Krazy Kite Sky Eagle – that each contestant was really eyeing. Four-year-old racer Declan Rogers rightfully took home the kite for his creative Viking ensemble, but there were several other costumes worth recognizing.

Dimitri Luethi ’12: full-body neon
Luethi, a member of the nordic ski team, stood out in his head-to-toe neon garb. When asked about his inspiration for the costume, Luethi commented, “I always like skiing in the sun, and I was hoping that the bright colors would bring the sun out for the race today.” While the sun may not have made an appearance, Luethi’s bright green spandex ski suit, accented with matching gloves and sunglasses, lit up the course as he completed the race in 15:32 minutes.

Liz Kantack ’09: the masked maiden
A recent graduate of the College and a former member of the nordic ski team, Kantack raced in bright red with a matching theatrical mask. Kantack did not own the mask prior to the race. “I borrowed the mask from my parents who wore it to a Halloween party this past year,” she said. The masked racer placed first amongst female racers and second overall in the race, taking home a Mr. Potato Head set. Kantack is currently a ski coach. She also supported and raced alongside a couple of her students on Weston Field.

Nick Fogel ’12: skiing “Bullet”
Recently elected as College Council co-president, Nick Fogel ’12, dressed in a Washington Bullets jersey and sporting a yellow bandana, made it out to Weston Field to compete in the community ski race. Fogel described his costume as “very last minute.” He placed an impressive third, finishing neck and neck with Luethi. A Williamstown native, Fogel skied competitively in high school for Mount Greylock and currently runs cross country and track for the College.

Declan Rogers: four-year-old Viking

While overall race winner and Mount Greylock ski coach Matt Voshin – dressed in a questionable costume of jeans, a sweatshirt and bandana – impressed the field with his speed, Declan Rogers trumped the costume competition. Four-year-old Rogers went with the fierce Viking look, an outfit that allowed him to not only complete the two-mile race in an impressive time, but also to win the costume contest. Though costumes ranged from quickly pulled together get-ups and eye-popping neon brilliance to costumes defined by various accessories including masks, bandanas, animal shaped hats and wizard inspired garb, it was the young Viking who prevailed.