Women’s track takes to MIT, Boston Univ.

Women’s track and field split up on Friday and Saturday in an effort to post championship qualifying results before the indoor championship season starts this weekend. The majority of the runners competed on Friday at the Valentine Invitational at Boston University, while the field athletes competed at the MIT Co-ed Invitational on Saturday. Williams enjoyed individual successes in these non-team-scored meets.

Despite their small numbers, the Ephs competed well in Cambridge and won all but two of the events in which they competed. In the high jump, Sara Turner ’11 finished first with a Div. III New England Championship qualifying mark of 1.52 meters. In the pole jump, Jenna Adams ’14 finished just shy of her personal record from last week, clearing 3.60 meters in an NCAA provisionally-qualifying performance. Kathryn Evans ’12 set a new personal record in the weight. Evans threw 12.03 meters, beating the second-place thrower by a centimeter. Tanasia Hoffler ’13 and Brooke Johnson ’13 placed first and third in the long jump, leaping 5.36 and 5.18 meters, respectively. Johnson went on to win the triple jump with a mark of 11.60 meters.

The Ephs also took a small contingent of runners to the invitational. Meghan Shea ’11 won the mile in her first race of the year with a time of 5:45.61. Rookie Amodhi Weereshinghe ’14 ran 1:03.11 to earn third in the 400 meter, and Marissa Lowe ’14 came in second in the 55-meter hurdles with a time of 9.18 seconds.

On Friday at the Valentine Invitational, Williams earned some exceptional individual results amidst strong Div. I and Div. III competition. In the 200 meter, Amanda Murashige ’14 and Annie Lynch ’14 both set personal records, finishing in 26.25 and 26.98 seconds, respectively. Both rookies easily qualified for Div. III New Englands.

“At this level, most first years don’t get to contribute on an individual level until outdoors, sometimes not even until sophomore year,” said Assistant Coach Joel Williams. “Amanda and Annie are setting themselves up to make an impact next week.”
Celeste Berg ’13 ran her best time of the season in the 800 meter, finishing with a time of 2:23.14. In the mile, Ceci Davis-Hayes ’11 ran an ECAC-qualifying time of 5:16.10 in her first race since December. The distance medley relay also qualified for ECACs, finishing in 12:23.67.

Williams earned two more strong performances in the 5000 meter. Chiara Del Piccolo ’14 and Annie Dear ’13 finished 18th and 25th, respectively, in a strong field of 59 runners. Dear ran a 17:40.10 and the rookie Del Piccolo shaved 26 seconds from her personal record to finish in an impressive time of 17:26.67. Both times are good enough to provisionally qualify for NCAA Div. III National Championships.

“Chiara had a fantastic cross country season, in the top seven all season as a freshman,” said co-captain Tina Meade ’11. “All her hard work and dedication has paid off with a great 5k and a strong NCAA provisional time.”

The women will start the indoor championship season as they again travel to MIT to compete for the Div. III New England title on Friday and Saturday.