Women’s track takes on rival MIT at tri-meet

Women’s track and field traveled to Cambridge this weekend to compete at the scored tri-meet against Moravian and MIT, one of Williams’ top Div. III rivals. Despite sponsoring fewer athletes than MIT in the meet, Williams was able to claim several top spots Saturday. The women’s performance on Saturday and the individual times from the meets at Tufts on Feb. 4, Northeastern on Jan. 28 and Hamilton on Jan. 22 foreshadow a great season for women’s track and field.

The women beat Moravian but fell to MIT in Saturday’s tri-meet. “We didn’t compete as expected, though there were several performances that indicate success for future championship meets,” said Head Coach Fletcher Brooks. Jumper Tanasia Hoffler ‘13 competed in the 55 meter and 200 meter, placing second in both events. Teammates Annie Lynch ’14 and Hillary Higgs ’12 followed close behind in the 200 meter, claiming fourth and sixth place, respectively.

In the 1000 meter, Brianne Mirecki ’14 placed first with a time of 3:03.47. Marisa Repka ’14 started the day off well, running a 15:13.35, good enough to earn her second place and a spot in the upcoming ECAC meet. Repka claimed another second place finish in the 800 meter, closely followed by fellow Eph Celeste Berg ’13, who took third place. In the 3000 meter, tri-captain Tina Meade ’11 took second place with a time that qualified her for the All-New England meet. Strong performances came out of the 5000 meter, where Natalie Davis ’12 and KK Durante ’11 finished in third and fourth place, respectively.

In the field, pole vaulter Jenna Adams ’14 had a strong performance, jumping 3.65 meters and just missing the school record. Her mark provisionally qualified her for NCAAs. Hoffler won both the triple and long jumps, with Lowe placing just behind her in third, and also earning points for the team. Amina Avril ’14 won the weight throw and shotput. Other notable performances in the weight came from Madeleine Watson ’12 and Kathryn Evans ’12, who placed third and fourth, respectively. Eileen Becker ’12 placed fourth in the shotput with a season’s best throw of 11.03 meters.

Sara Turner ’11 was the Ephs’ lone representative at the Tufts Pentathlon on Feb. 4. Turner won the shotput and earned fifth overall in the exhibition.

The women placed ninth out of sixteen teams at the Reebok Boston Indoor Games on Jan. 28 at the famed Reggie Lewis Track of Northeastern. Williams was the highest placing Div. III school, and also beat several Div. I schools in the competition. In the field, Hoffler placed second in the long jump. Annie Dear ’13 and Jennifer Gossels ’13 ran personal records and came in third and fourth place, respectively, in the 3000 meter.

On Jan. 22, the women competed at the Continental Invitational at Hamilton. Blair Robinson ’13 claimed first place in the 5000 meter with a two-minute lead over the second place finisher. In the 400 meter dash, Rebecca Fine ’13, Amanda Murashige ’14 and Lynch claimed first, second and third, respectively, scorching the competition. In the mid-distance races, Fiona Moriarty ’11 and Olivia Fay ’14 finished in the top three for the 800 meter. Avril threw a season’s best 17.28 meters to win the weight throw, and Hoffler and Amodhi Weeresinghe ’14 went one and two in the women’s long jump.

The women next compete Friday at 1 p.m. at the Boston University Valentine Invitational. The meet will be their last before championship season.