Women’s squash falls to Panthers in NESCAC semifinals

Nearing the end of its season, women’s squash took to the courts at Trinity on Saturday in pursuit of the NESCAC championship. Despite their best efforts, however, the women were unable to claim the NESCAC title, falling to Middlebury 6-3 in the semifinals after dropping Wesleyan in the quarterfinal match. The squad earned third in the conference following Sunday’s win over Bates. The women also lost to Brown by a slim 5-4 margin on Friday. On Jan. 30, the women traveled to New York, where they defeated Hamilton convincingly by a score of 9-0 but lost to Cornell, also by a margin of 9-0. The team claimed the Little Three Championship over rivals Wesleyan and Amherst on Jan. 29. The title came on the heels of a 9-0 loss to Dartmouth on Jan. 22.

The women, seeded second in the NESCAC tournament, first faced Wesleyan in the quarterfinals on Saturday. Playing out of the number one spot, Courtney Bogle ’12 handily defeated her opponent in three games. The women would claim eight three-game victories as Laura Henry ’13, Allison Rubin ’13, Alyssa Northrop ’14, captain Kavitha Mannava ’11, Eliana Saltzman ’12, Carolyn Kaemmer ’12 and Mia Fry ’13 also brought home victories. Hannah Kaemmer ’13 played a tough match, and though she dropped her second game, she was ultimately able to come up with a victory. The women finished 8-1 to head into the semifinals.

Williams faced Middlebury for the second time this season on Saturday. The Ephs’ top three – Bogle, Henry and Rubin – came up with crucial wins. Northrop and Mannava lost in close five game matches while Hannah Kaemmer, Saltzman, Carolyn Kaemmer and Fry all lost in four games. The Panthers claimed a 6-3 victory over the Ephs to advance to the finals, knocking the women out of the running for the title.

The women defeated Bates 6-3 in a consolation match at Trinity on Sunday to take third in the NESCAC championship. Henry, Rubin, Hannah Kaemmer, Northrop, Mannava and Fry all came up with crucial three-game wins. Bogle, Saltzman and Carolyn Kaemmer played competitive matches, but ultimately fell to their respective opponents.

“I was really proud of the ladies, who played really well against Bates,” said Head Coach Zafi Levy.

The women fell to Brown in a 5-4 heartbreaker at the Simon Squash Center on Friday. Bogle, Rubin, Saltzman, Carolyn Kaemmer and Cullen came up with crucial wins to give the Ephs five victories over the Bears. Henry, Hannah Kaemmer, Northrop and Mannava each lost in three games. Fry, playing in the number eight spot, fell shy of a victory in a tough five-game match.

On Jan. 30, the women traveled to Cornell and fell 9-0 to the Big Red. Bogle, Henry, Rubin, Hannah Kaemmer, Saltzman, Fry and Cullen all lost 3-0 to their respective opponents. Northrop, Mannava and Carolyn Kaemmer fought hard but ultimately lost in five games to their opponents.

The women also played in Clinton on Jan. 30, and the team steamrolled Hamilton 9-0 in an important conference match. Bogle, Hannah Kaemmer and Fry each dropped a game to their Continental opponents, but easily rebounded to take home wins. Henry, Rubin, Northrop, Mannava, Saltzman, Carolyn Kaemmer and Cullen handily defeated their opponents in just three games.
The previous day, the women traveled to Amherst in pursuit of the Little Three championship. In their first match against Wesleyan, all nine players defeated their Cardinal opponents, sending a strong message to the Jeff squad.

The women faced a confident and determined Amherst team for the Little Three championship following their decisive win over Wesleyan. Bogle, Henry, Rubin, Northrop, Mannava, Fry, Carolyn Kaemmer and Cullen easily defeated their Jeff opponents to put the Ephs ahead. Hannah Kaemmer lost a difficult match in four games, and Saltzman gave her opponent a tough battle, but ultimately fell short in a five-game match. The Ephs claimed a 7-2 victory and their 12th consecutive Little Three title.
On Jan. 22, the team traveled to Hanover to play Dartmouth in a highly anticipated match against the Big Green. Despite their best efforts, however, the women fell 9-0 with only Mannava, Carolyn Kaemmer and Fry managing to take games away from their opponents.

“We will be traveling to Middlebury this coming weekend and aim to revenge our loss this weekend,” said Levy. “It will be hard, but I believe we can do it.”

The team will compete against Middlebury on Sunday at 12 p.m. The team will then compete in the College Squash Association Championships at Princeton Feb. 18-20.