OIT hires new director of web operations

Last week, Scott Pittinsky took over as the College’s director of web operations. Pittinsky has also begun work as the head of the new web operations team, a subgroup of the Office of Information Technology (OIT).

In October, OIT created a search committee to hire a director of web operations who would head this newly-created web operations team. The formation of web operations is part of a larger overhaul that OIT has been undergoing this year.

According to Dinny Taylor, chief technology officer of OIT, the purpose of the new team is to “modernize the College website to make it more interactive, easy to navigate, easy to search accurately … and easy to maintain.” The team will bring together four staff members from Public Affairs, Alumni Relations and OIT who have already been doing web work separately at Williams.

The website was previously run by Public Affairs, which often hired outside consultants and students to do web work. As a result “the Williams web became a mix of styles and software,” Taylor said. She added that it was often hard to navigate and even more difficult to edit and maintain because the sites were written in complex codes. The new director’s job will be to work with academic departments and administrative offices to create a new, more user-friendly website.

The search committee interviewed 11 potential candidates before hiring Pittinsky, who started work on Jan. 31. Pittinsky, a Brandeis graduate, has 16 years of experience working with digital media and the web. Until recently he was the director of digital development at Modern Identity, an “integrated brand strategy and design agency in New York,” according to Taylor. He also worked on a variety of web projects for major institutions and non-profit agencies as well as corporations.