Women’s swimming clinches Little Three title

Women’s swimming and diving defeated Tufts and Wesleyan this weekend, trouncing the Jumbos 195.5-99.5 and burying the Cardinals by a mark of 195-100. The win marks the third straight for the women, who defeated Amherst 203-97 on Jan. 8 and hammered the women from Conn. College 223-107 on Dec. 11. The Ephs’ wins over the Jumbos and the Jeffs guarantee the women the Little Three title.

NESCAC Performer of the Week Caroline Wilson ’13 turned in dominant swims, posting a scorching first-place time of 16:59.41 in the 1650 freestyle. The swim marked her first NCAA automatic qualifying time of the season. Wilson also captured first in the 200 butterfly and the 200 breaststroke. Kelsey Roggensack ’13 won the tough battle for second in the 200 butterfly against Rachel Cohen of Wesleyan.

Logan Todhunter ’12 swam impressively in the backstroke leg of the Ephs’ victorious 200 medley relay, and finished first in the 100 breaststroke and the 100 freestyle. Jillian Hancock ’11 backed up Todhunter’s finish in the 100 freestyle with an impressive second-place finish.

Kate O’Leary ’13 also swam well, touching the wall first in the 500 freestyle and leading teammate KC Ha ’13 to a one-two finish in the 400 individual medley. Tri-captain Ellen Ramsey ’11 and Roggensack rounded out the Ephs’ effort in the 400 individual medley, finishing fourth and fifth, respectively.

“The women’s 400 IM was really fun to watch especially because of how well we did last year at NESCACs in that event, and it will be great to see how much more time people drop between now and [this year’s NESCACs],” Bryn Dunbar ’13 said.
Women’s diving was also successful against Tufts and Wesleyan. McKenzie Murdoch ’14 claimed first place in the three-meter diving, closely followed by tri-captain Taylor Stevens ’11 in second place and Hannah Wilson ’12 in fourth place.
Williams held its first home meet of the season on Jan. 8 and claimed a decisive win over archrival Amherst. Despite Amherst’s Kendra Stern setting a pool record in the 200 freestyle, the women scored 203 points to dismiss Amherst’s 97-point total.

“The energy on the pool deck when we swim against Amherst is unparalleled,” Rebecca Maher ’13 said. “It brought out the best in the entire team, even after a hard week of training in Florida.”

Todhunter also set a pool record in the 100 butterfly. She collected a victory and an NCAA ‘A’ cut in the 200 butterfly.
Rookie Stephanie Nguyen ’14 posted first-place finishes and NCAA ‘B’ cuts in the 100 and 200 backstrokes. Ha earned the Ephs another ‘B’ cut with her second-place finish in the 200 butterfly.
Other notable swims included a victory by Carolyn Geller ’12 in the 50 freestyle and the Ephs’ one-two finish in the 400 freestyle relay.

The Ephs’ divers also dominated, winning both the one-meter and three-meter competitions. Murdoch won the one-meter diving competition, and Stevens took the three-meter diving competition.
The women defeated Conn. College on Dec. 11, taking the meet by a score of 223-107. Wilson won three events: the 50 and 100 breaststrokes and the 100 freestyle. Todhunter was another top performer with individual victories in the 50 backstroke and 200 freestyle and a contribution to a first-place finish in the Ephs’ 200 freestyle relay.
Williams will host Springfield on Saturday at 1 p.m.