Women’s squash drops GW, Navy, secures 2nd seed in NESCAC

Women’s squash improved its record to 6-6 (3-0 in the NESCAC) in defeating George Washington and Navy on Sunday. The women dropped their meet against fifth-ranked Penn on Saturday, but delivered a 7-2 victory over Bates on Jan. 9. Two more NESCAC wins over Bowdoin and Colby on Jan. 8 indicated the team’s improvement following a sound defeat by Yale Jan. 7.

The women concluded a weekend trip to Annapolis on a high note, defeating No. 18 George Washington 7-2 on Sunday. Williams won six of its seven victories in three games, with No. 10 Hollis Miller ’13 requiring four games to finish her opponent. The Ephs’ only losses came from first-seeded Courtney Bogle ’12 and No. 6 Eliana Saltzman ’12, both of whom managed to take their opponents to five games before dropping their matches.

The team also came out strong in Sunday’s matches against Navy in Annapolis. The women competed against the men’s junior varsity team in an exhibition match, as Navy does not sponsor a women’s squash team, The Ephs posted a solid victory over the Midshipmen, digging deep to pull out several five-game wins. Laura Henry ’13, Allison Rubin ’13, Alyssa Northrop ’14, captain Kavitha Mannava ’11 and Mia Fry ’13 won five-game matches, contributing to the Ephs’ 8-1 victory.

Head Coach Zafi Levy was impressed with the women’s performance against Navy. “It’s always hard to play a men’s team, and they performed at a very high level,” Levy said.

The women fell 8-1 at thier match in Philadelphia on Saturday, as they could not adjust to the quick court surfaces at Penn. Fry, playing in the ninth position, posted the Ephs’ lone victory on the day, defeating her opponent in three games (11-1, 11-2, 11-6). Bogle lost in three close games (9-11, 6-11, 6-11), while Rubin also lost her match in three games (4-11, 9-11, 7-11). Carolyn Kaemmer ’12, competing from the 10th position, won her unscored exhibition match.

“Penn’s top eight was very strong, but Ali [Rubin] and Courtney [Bogle] had some very close games,” Mannava said.
Levy was pleased with the women’s performance over the weekend. “We played very well against George Washington. Playing Penn was very difficult, but the girls played as well as they could. Overall it was a good performance,” he said.

Williams claimed a 7-2 victory over Bates on Jan. 9. The women claimed four three-game victories and solidified the second seed in the NESCAC conference tournament, where they will compete behind No. 1 seed Trinity.

The women also competed against Bowdoin and Colby on Jan. 8, taking home two 9-0 wins. The women required just three games in almost all of their matches against Bowdoin and Colby, with Bogle’s 3-2 win over Bowdoin’s one seed being the only exception.
The squad encountered a strong opponent in the women from Yale on Jan. 7, losing all of their matches to the tune of a sound 9-0 defeat.

The women will play at Dartmouth on Saturday and then travel to Amherst to compete in the Little Three Championship against Amherst and Wesleyan on Jan. 29. Williams will finish the weekend with matches at Cornell and Hamilton on Jan. 30.
The events all lead up to the NESCAC championship tournament, which will be held at Trinity on Feb. 4-6.