Six students granted fellowships for graduate study in UK

Six members of the Class of 2011 were awarded College-funded fellowships last month. All of these students, who were selected by the Office of Fellowships from a group of 28 total applicants, will be doing their graduate studies in England next year. The Dr. Herchel Smith Fellowship for graduate study at Cambridge was awarded to Antoniya Aleksandrova ’11, Marissa Kimsey ’11, Zebulon Levine ’11, Charles Rousseau ’11 and Jehanne Wyllie ’11, while the Donovan-Moody fellowship for graduate study at Oxford was awarded to Yue-Yi Hwa ’11.

Aleksandrova is a physics and math double major, and she will study for a Ph.D. in mathematics and theoretical physics while at Cambridge. Her senior thesis is on quantum information. Aleksandrova has performed research with faculty members in the physics department for over two summers.

Kimsey, an economics and women’s and gender studies double major, plans to read for an M.Phil in development studies during her first year at Cambridge and an M.Phil in economics her second year. “I hope graduate study in England will prepare me for a career in policy research at a think tank or government agency in a developing country,” Kimsey said. “I want to continue to grapple with questions about how gender inequalities interact with poverty, whether in the household, the community or the broader economy.” Her senior thesis project at the College is a general equilibrium analysis of social grants in South Africa.

Levine will pursue an M.Phil in chemistry next year. He is a chemistry major with concentrations in biochemistry and molecular biology, and his work next year will focus on organic synthesis. Levine is a Class of 1960 scholar in the chemistry department and a chair on the Chemistry Student Advisory Council.

Rousseau, an English and religion double major, plans to pursue a diploma in theology in his first year at Cambridge and a Ph.D. in culture and criticism in his second year. His senior thesis in English concentrates on the relationship between apocalypticism and literature.

Wyllie is a double major in English and American studies. At Cambridge, she plans to pursue an M.Phil in social anthropology her first year and an M.Phil in English studies her second year. “I hope to extend what I learn during this time into a career in TV and/or radio production [and] spearhead a nonprofit that will support community-based organizations in developing countries to produce creative media projects and documentaries that will help raise their global visibility and contribute to a more dynamic public discourse,” she said. Wyllie is a Class of 1960 Scholar in the English department.

Hwa, an Arabic studies and political economy major, will be studying at Oxford for a two-year M.Phil in politics, focusing on comparative government. Regarding her choice to pursue this area of study, Hwa said, “I want to get a strong theoretical and methodological foundation for grappling with political realities at home in Malaysia.” For a career, Hwa would like to do something involving both policy and education in Malaysia.