Men’s track gears up at Gotham Cup

Men’s track and field made its post-break debut on Friday at the unscored Gotham Cup, which was hosted by New York University. Williams also sent a small contingent to compete at the Harvard Invitational on Dec. 11 to qualify for championship competitions. The team was successful despite its limited roster at the self-proclaimed fastest indoor track in the world.

“[It] was a great chance to compete at the Armory, something that every track and field athlete looks forward to,” co-captain Dan Franck ’11 said. “It was also a competitive meet, which was an exciting way to begin the season.”

The Ephs were well represented in the sprints. Rich Fusco ’12 finished first his heat in the 400 meter en route to 18th place overall. His time of 50.70 qualified him for the Div. III New England Championship in February.

Taylor Fitzgerald ’11 placed 22nd overall in the 500 meter with a time of 1:06.93, which qualified him for the ECAC meet. Matt Sullivan ’11 ran to 11th place in the finals of the 60-meter hurdles in 8.91, qualifying for the Div. III New England Championship.
The team posted several strong performances in the mid-distance events. Nehemiah Paramore ’14 finished second in his heat and fifth overall in the 800 meter with a time of 1:57.52 in the unseeded competition.

In the 1000 meter, Alex Rich ’13 won his heat with a time of 2:33.73, while Andy Morgosh ’12 finished third in the same heat with a final time of 2:36.04. All three finished their races in times that qualified them for the Div. III New England Championship.
“[Rich and Morgosh] ran … very well, I thought. They’ve been practicing very well too,” Assistant Coach Dick Farley said.
In the 3000 meter, the only distance event in which the Ephs competed, Dan Franck ’11 and Dan Silver ’13 paced their way to 16th and 17th, respectively, turning in strong times of 8:43.91 and 8:44.09.

“Dan Franck and Dan Silver are two guys who over the last [few years] have put a lot of hard work in and hadn’t quite had a complete race. This was pretty much a complete race for [them],” Baker said.

Co-captain Steve Rubin ’11 led the way in the jumping events with his first-place jump of 13.67 meters in the unseeded triple jump. His 15th-place jump of 6.49 meters in the seeded long jump qualified him to compete in the Div. III New England Championship.
Stephen Simalchik ’13 and Rusty Cowher ’12 were the team’s lone entrants in the throwing events, but they represented the Ephs well. Simalchik threw 11.66 meters in the shot put and 13.88 meters in the weight throw, good for eighth and 16th place, respectively, while Cowher threw 15.81 meters in the weight for fifth.

“As a team we’re ready to finally showcase all the hard work we’ve been doing to maintain the success that our team has had over the past few years,” co-captain Isaac Nicholson ’11 said.

Prior to winter break, select members of the men’s team competed at the Harvard Invitational in Cambridge, Mass. in the hopes of achieving marks that would qualify them to compete in championship meets.

Fitzgerald won his 400 meter with a 50.39 on Dec. 11, qualifying for the Div. III New England Championship. Dan Waters ’11 blazed his way to sixth overall in the 800 meter with an impressive time of 2:00.85. Josephat Koima ’12 also qualified for competition in the Div. III New England Championship with his fifth-place time of 8:43.11.

Chris Fogler ’13 tied for seventh place in the high jump. His 1.89-meter result surpassed the standard for the Div. III New England meet.

The 4×400 meter relay team of Fitzgerald, Jabulani Blyden ’13, Fusco and Paramore won its race in 3:22.55 and exceeded the qualifying mark to compete in the upcoming Div. III New England Championships.

“Both meets were huge and gave us some serious overall competition,” Rubin said. “That being said, we’re looking forward to the coming weeks where we’ll get to compete against schools in our region who we’ll see come championship season.”

Men’s track and field will next compete at the Continental Invitational, one of their first team events of the season, hosted by Hamilton on Saturday.