Women’s swimming impresses against Fordham, Boston College

The past couple weeks have been exciting for women’s swimming, thanks to successes in this weekend’s tri-meet against Div. I teams Boston College and Fordham and the Nov. 20 season opener against Union. The women have managed to record some fast times early on, setting the team up to be one of the best in Div. III this year.

Williams traveled to Boston College on Saturday for the team’s annual tri-meet. Proving that Div. III teams can compete with some Div. I schools, Williams claimed victory over Boston College 195-105. Although they fell short to Fordham 160.5-130.5, the women did narrow last year’s 50-point gap.

The meet gave the team a confidence boost and got them excited for what the rest of the season has in store. “Seeing how four short weeks of hard work can compare to a Div. I school’s three months of training is really exciting for the team,” Kelsey Roggensack ’13 said. “I can’t wait to see what else the Ephs are capable of.” Roggensack had a strong showing in both the 200 fly and 200 IM.

Continuing an impressive start to the season, Logan Todhunter ’12 took control of her butterfly events, destroying the field in both the 100 and 200 while also obtaining two NCAA ‘A’ qualifying cuts. She also had an impressive display in the 100 free, falling just short of a Fordham swimmer to land in second. Caroline Wilson ’13 won the 1000 free, 500 free and 200 IM, while Bonnie Patchen ’12 added to the total number of Eph wins by out-touching an Eagle for a 1:10.23 in the 100 breaststroke. Patchen was also runner-up in the 200 breaststroke and had a solid IM finish.

Rookie Steph Nguyen ’14 also added to the Ephs’ highlights, finishing second in both of the backstroke events. KC Ha ’13 had high standings in the backstroke and fly events, while Kate O’Leary ’13 finished strong in the butterfly and IM. Julie Okorn ’14 added to the distance free success with Rebecca Maher ’13, and Liz Visconti ’13 added some solid breaststroke. Carolyn Geller ’12, who placed fourth in the 100 free, also had a strong showing in her 50 free, coming in second.

The women secured an impressive 190-95 victory over Union on Nov. 20, outracing their opponents in nearly every event. Todhunter claimed three individual wins, outpacing the field in the 50 freestyle, 100 freestyle and 100 butterfly. Multiple wins were also secured by Wilson, who topped the competition in the 200 breaststroke and the 1000 freestyle and by rookie McKenzie Murdoch ’14 in the one-meter and three-meter dives. Erin Altenburger ’11 claimed first in the 500 freestyle and 100 backstroke.

The team got the meet started off in the right direction with both the ‘A’ relay of Nguyen, Visconti, Patchen and O’Leary and the ‘B’ relay of Ha, Maher, Geller and Roggensack besting Union’s ‘A’ relay.

Wilson led a sweep of the 1000 freestyle, followed closely by Maher and Okorn. Geller and tri-captain Ellen Ramsey ’11 showed toughness in the 200 freestyle by edging out Union’s top finisher by a margin of about half a second.

The 200 butterfly showcased the women’s impressive depth in the butterfly events, with Ha leading Patchen and Roggensack to impressive times.

The 200 backstroke featured Nguyen’s and Ha’s continued strength: Geller showed her versatility in completing the sweep of the top three positions. With victory secured, the Ephs began exhibition scoring for the last two events, the 200 IM and the 200 freestyle relay.

The team looks to continue racing well in addition to improving times as the season goes on. The women will face Conn. College on Saturday and will begin a streak of home competitions beginning Jan. 8 against Amherst.