Women’s squash goes 1-2 at home

Women’s squash (1-4) opened its season against some of the toughest collegiate competition in the nation. In their first three home matches, the women went 1-2, handily defeating Franklin and Marshall on Friday while falling to Trinity and Princeton on Friday and Sunday, respectively. In their first away match on Nov. 21, the women fell to Stanford and defending national champion Harvard.

Williams took on fourth-ranked Princeton on Sunday. Courtney Bogle ’12 battled hard at No. 1, but was unable to win a game against a tough Tiger opponent. Laura Henry ’13, Alli Rubin ’13, Hannah Kaemmer ’13 and Alyssa Northrop ’14 suffered similar fates in the next four positions. Captain Kavitha Mannava ’11 came out strong in the first game at No. 6 but fell in straight games. Eliana Saltzman ’12, Mia Fry ’13, Gibbs Cullen ’14 and Hollis Miller ’13 all turned in strong performances but were unable to get the ball past a Princeton squad that covered the court remarkably well.

The women faced third-ranked Trinity on Friday. The Bantams dropped the Ephs 6-3. “This was one of the closest matches we’ve had with Trinity,” Mannava said.

The bottom three players managed impressive victories. Despite strong play and a number of close games along the way, the top six of Bogle, Henry, Kaemmer, Northrop, Mannava and Saltzman each fell to their respective opponent.

Following the tough Trinity match, however, the women came back strong to defeat Franklin and Marshall 8-1. The match started out rough, with No. 1 Bogle falling 11-3, 11-5, 11-5, but strong play by Henry in No. 2 put the team back on track. Rubin and Kaemmer dropped their opponents 3-0, and the rest of the roster followed suit.

“The match against Trinity could have been closer,” Head Coach Zafi Levy said. Rubin, normally at No. 3, rested during the Trinity match.

Prior to the home opener, the women traveled to Cambridge, Mass. to take on Harvard and Stanford, ranked first and sixth respectively in the nation, on Nov. 21. The women put up a strong fight but were unable to overcome either team.

“Our young players stepped up big time and played extremely well,” Levy said. “I still think we have room to improve, but it was a very good start to the season.”

The women will return to their home courts on Jan. 7 to take on second-ranked Yale before facing a series of NESCAC opponents.