Women’s soccer’s NCAA run cut short

William Smith ended Williams’ NCAA run in a 1-0 victory over the Ephs in the NCAA Quarterfinals on Nov. 21. The ninth-ranked Ephs concluded their season with a 15-4-2 record, making a fourth consecutive appearance in the NCAA tournament.

The first half remained scoreless, with both squads battling hard. The Hawk offense set the Ephs back on their heels early on, forcing two corners in the first three minutes. The Williams defense, anchored by keeper Laura Wann ’14, cleared the ball, however, and kept the game tied at 0-0.

After the opening frame, the women went on the attack, registering three shots on net and a corner kick in the first half. Wann finished the half with four saves, including two clutch ones in the closing moments of the half. Chelsea Davies ’13, Sachi Siegelman ’12, Lizzy Danhakl ’11, and Anne Marie Burke ’11 led the defensive effort.

The women reentered the game after the break with the same determination they started off with, and they also brought in a ramped-up offense. The Ephs tested keeper Amanda Davis early in the second period, peppering her with five shots right off the bat. Tri-captains Sara Wild ’11, Kara Duggan ’11 and Tyler Rainer ’11 combined for the team’s best scoring chance of the half. Wild lined up for a corner and lobbed a great ball to Duggan, who beat her defender in the air to head the ball towards the center of the net. Davis stopped the ball before it crossed the line, giving up a rebound that Rainer slid into, sending the ball over the net.

A few minutes later, with 26 minutes remaining in the half, William Smith scored the only goal of the game. The goal proved an insurmountable obstacle for the Ephs. The women continued to work hard, putting another three shots on Davis, but were unable to capitalize.

“We lost a hard fought game to a very good William Smith [team],” Duggan said. “It has been a very rewarding season. The team is deep and talented and I am sure that much is in store for next season.”