Women’s ice hockey stumbles at Midd.

Women’s ice hockey kicked off the season with a stretch of tough games. The team (1-5, 1-4 in the NESCAC) fell Saturday to Middlebury 3-0. The women opened the season with a loss to Conn. College, followed by a win at Hamilton and losses to Bowdoin, Colby, St. Anselm and Middlebury.

The Panthers outshot the Ephs 33-10 on Saturday. Catherine Tremble ’13 recorded 30 saves as netminder, but the constant Panther pressure proved too much for the Eph squad. Middlebury struck first just 6:39 into the game on a wrist shot. In the second period, another Panther took advantage of a two-on-one against Tremble at 10:57 to put her team up 2-0. A power play goal put Middlebury up 3-0 with 11:55 left.

Head Coach Joey Lye “is proud of how hard the girls have been working,” she said. “Many of them take advantage of the extra ice sessions and come in to watch game footage so they can see firsthand what they should focus on in practice.” Over the next few weeks Lye will focus on “discipline, both on and off the ice, perfecting positional play and execution around the net.”

On Friday, Williams came up short against its first non-conference opponent of the season, St. Anselm, by the score of 4-1. St. Anselm got into a groove early, notching a goal at 2:06 and never looking back. The Ephs were not discouraged by the quick tally and fought hard throughout the first period. St. Anselm netminder Meghan Grant produced stop after stop for the Hawks on her way to a 20-save game. Rosemarie Giarrusso snuck the puck past goalie Rachel Nguyen ’14 with only three seconds left to end the first period ahead 2-0.

The Ephs came out strong in the second period, resulting in a one-on-one opportunity for Cristina Bravi ‘14, but Grant came up with another big save. The Hawks would score twice more before the final buzzer, but the Ephs got on the board with a goal by Kristen Tubbs ’12 with 1:12 left in the game, finalizing the score at 4-1.

Williams fell to Colby and Bowdoin by scores of 4-1 and 3-2 on Nov. 27 and 28, respectively. Prior to that, the women tallied their first win against Hamilton, 2-1, which came on the heels of a 4-2 loss at Conn. College.

Despite the early losses, Lye remains confident. “[The team] has the talent to be successful this season and I’m excited for the progress I know we will make,” she said. The team will next play Utica at home tonight at 7 p.m.