Men’s track debuts at Smith meet

Men’s track and field made its indoor season debut at the Smith College Winter Classic on Saturday. Though team scores were not tallied, the Ephs enjoyed much individual success. “For some [members of the team], it’s been a while since their last race and will [also] be until their next race, so it’s nice to be able to break up the training and get in a competitive situation,” co-captain Dan Franck ’11 said.

Rusty Cowher ’12 and Stephen Simalchik ’13 led the way in the throwing events, with second and third place finishes in the weight throw and second and seventh place in the shot put, respectively. Cowher’s weight throw of 16.51 meters was a scant 0.49 meters off the NCAA provisional mark.

In the jumping events, co-captain Steve Rubin ’11 and Andrew Tobias ’14 were at the forefront of the competition. Rubin won the triple jump in 13.02 meters and placed second in the long jump in 6.43 meters, while Tobias placed second in the triple jump and sixth overall in the long jump. “[We] posted respectable distances considering our tough practice regimen this past week,” Rubin said.
In spite of a lack of entrants in the sprinting events, the Ephs performed well. Don Polite ’13 and Rich Fusco ’12 finished third and fifth, respectively, in the 55-meter dash with times of 6.80 and 6.81 seconds. Chris Fogler ’13, a multi-event athlete by trade, competed in just a single event, winning the 55-meter hurdles in 8.47 seconds.

The Ephs showcased their depth and strength in the mid-distance and distance events. Nehemiah Paramore ’14 won his heat of the 600 meter in 1:24.53 and finished second overall. Thomas Kuczmarski ’12 and Nick Fogel ’12, two juniors new to the team, had stellar races in the mid-distance races. Kuczmarski placed second in the 800 meter in a time of 2:03.28, and Fogel used a mid-race surge to win the 1000 meter in 2:46.96. Co-captain Brian Cole ’11, Tommy Gaidus ’13 and Will Edwards-Mizel ’14 ran to a 2-3-4 finish in the mile.

Andrew Gaidus ’11, Brandon Abasolo ’13 and Peter Watson ’13 ran to first, second and third place finishes well ahead of the competition in the 3000 meter. Similarly, Steve Mendoza ’13 and Max Heninger ’14 ran away from the field with their first and second placings in the 5000 meter.

“The Smith meet proved an excellent competition for busting-the-rust in preparation for team dominance in later season meets,” Cole said.

The team will next compete at the Harvard Invitational in Boston on Saturday.