Men’s swimming falters at BC

Men’s swimming suffered a tough loss this weekend in a tri-college meet against Fordham and Boston College. “[The meet] was with some really good competition,” Head Coach Steve Kuster said. “I like getting out of the league; I like having a really difficult test early on in the year. The teams were at a totally different place than we are as far as the season goes. Relative to the level of competition, we did well.”

Even though the men trailed Boston College 200-87 and Fordham 167-131, the meet was rife with stunning Eph performances. “Paul [Dyrkacz ’13] led the way as far as the really good swims,” Kuster said. “He won the 200 breaststroke. He had a solid 200 freestyle. He was second against Boston College in the 200 IM, and he beat all the Fordham guys.”

Ben Wampler ’12 also had an impressive meet. He won the 50 and 100 freestyle with times of 21.31 and 47.67, respectively. In the case of the 50 free, his time of 21.31 was nearly half a second ahead of the next swimmer.

The Ephs also had a strong presence in the longer freestyle events. In the 500 freestyle, Williams secured three of the top four spots, with co-captain Gary Roberson ’11 in second, John Armstrong ’13 in third and Tom Vieth ’13 in fourth. Williams was similarly successful in the 1000 freestyle, with Armstrong achieving third and Roberson holding down fourth.

The men pulled off a third place finish in both of the relays of the day. A team of Wampler, Phillip Treesh ’12, Martin Sonderstrom ’14 and Ryan Marrano ’13 powered through the 200 medley relay, with Wampler in a time of 20.99, the fastest of any competitor on any team in the relay. Roberson, Wampler, Vieth and Dyrkacz made up the team for the 400 freestyle relay.

On a brighter note, the men slammed the competition 179.5-103.5 on Nov. 20 at their first meet of the season at Union.

Williams shot to the top three spots in the freestyle competitions. Wampler led the 50, followed by Graham Righi ’13 and co-captain Andrew D’Ignazio ’11. Vieth, D’Ignazio and Daeus Jorento ’13 took the podium in the 100, while Vieth, Treesh and Eric Liao ’14 filled the top three spots in the 200.Dyrkacz won the 100 and 200 breaststroke as well as the 200 IM. Williams took first and second in both the 400 medley and 200 freestyle relays.

The men will head to Conn. College on Saturday. The first home meet will be Jan. 8 against Amherst.