Men’s squash suffers 0-3 weekend

Men’s squash (1-3, 1-0 in the conference) hosted Trinity, Franklin and Marshall and Princeton this weekend. The men fell 9-0 to Trinity and Princeton and 8-1 to Franklin and Marshall on the heels of a 1-1 day against Tufts and Harvard on Nov. 21.

Sunday saw the men face off against Princeton. Having recovered somewhat from Friday’s double-header, the Ephs were called on to be at their best against the Tigers’ lineup. Taylor Foehl ’14 managed a return from two games down, seizing the next two games before his comeback was cut short at 11-7. Co-captains Jeremy Herrmann ’11 and Will Gruner ’11 gave valiant displays at the third and second positions, respectively, though along with Will Morris ’12 at the No. 1 spot they were overcome in three games. Alec Greaves-Tunnell ’13 and Julian Drobetsky ’13 drew level with their opponents after winning their respective second games, but each fell in four. Ryan Eagan ’13 also suffered a loss at No. 8.

On Friday, the men battled first against Trinity. Foehl tied his match at one game apiece and threatened to win another, but his run was ended in four games following an injury late in the third. Gruner and Morris were impressive at the top of the lineup, as each put up fierce resistance against a top-10 ranked opponent for three games. “Although a loss is always disappointing, it’s a great opportunity to play a team like Trinity,” Gruner said.

Shortly before the second clash of the evening against Franklin and Marshall’s fast-rising squad, Drobetsky removed himself from the lineup due to illness, and the team was forced to compensate by promoting the players below him. The result was increased pressure on Eagan, Jared Zuckerman ’12 and Aaron Seong ’12. The Ephs gave the Diplomats a fierce fight, though Greaves-Tunnell won the Ephs’ lone point at No. 6.

The team traveled to Cambridge, Mass. before Thanksgiving break, where it fell to Harvard 8-1 and steamrolled Tufts 9-0. The men’s season continues after winter break when they will host Yale, Colby, Bowdoin and Bates over three days, starting on Jan. 7.