WPD levies drug violation

An ongoing investigation by the Williamstown Police Department (WPD) has resulted in one misdemeanor and one felony charge against a stidemt on campus. The charges are one count of possession with intent to distribute a class D drug (marijuana) and one count of a drug violation near a school, park or playground. WPD was notified of possible drug activity by Security on Nov. 8, according to Kyle Johnson, chief of WPD.

“Due to the cooperative nature of the defendant, the investigating officer chose to summons him to court for these charges instead of arresting him,” Johnson said. The charges have not yet been filed because the paperwork is not complete, but the charges will be filed later this week. The defendant will then be issued a notice to appear in Northern Berkshire District Court.

Dean Bolton and Interim Director of Security Dave Boyer were unable to comment on the police investigation.Jim Kolesar, assistant to the president for Public Affairs, noted that “the College investigates all illegal drug use. Disciplinary action can run the gamut from reprimand to expulsion,” he said.

North Adams Transcript first reported the incident on Nov. 10, and according to that article (“Drug charges follow search at Williams College dorm”), the WPD search took place in a College dormitory that was within 1000 feet of two day care centers, yielding the second charge of drug violation near a school, park or playground. According to Johnson, the individual is in violation of Massachusetts General Laws 94C; 32C and 94C; and 32J.