Women’s swim sets sights on NESCAC title

Fresh off a record setting postseason, women’s swimming opened regular season training Nov. 1. The Ephs are dedicated to doing whatever it takes to prove themselves yet again after a successful 2009-10 season.

“We’ve mentally prepared by discussing our individual and team goals for the season,” tri-captain Erin Altenburger ’11 said.

Altenburger is joined by fellow tri-captains Ellen Ramsey ’11 and Taylor Stevens ’11, and the team will also be returning many strong underclassmen. NCAA champions and Div. III record holders Caroline Wilson ’13 and Logan Todhunter ’12 are hopefuls for continued success, and the team’s strength in the butterfly events also bodes well for this season. The butterfly is led by Todhunter, Bonnie Patchen ’12, KC Ha ’13, Kelsey Roggensack ’13, Kate O’Leary ’13 and Aly Levine ’14.

The backstroke events will benefit from the skills of Ha, Altenburger, Ramsey, Jennifer Turner ’13 and Stephanie Nguyen ’14. Although the breaststroke events suffered losses with the graduation of the class of 2010, Patchen, Liz Visconti ’13, Rebecca Maher ’13 and Liz Rounds ’14 will look to fill the void. Carolyn Geller ’12 will lead the sprint freestyle events along with Bryn Dunbar ’13, Anna Szymanski ’12 and Olivia Card-Childers ’11. Finally, Rounds and Julie Okorn ’14 will round out the distance squad, which currently rosters Maher, Wilson and Ryan McChesney ’11.

Last season’s individual medley squad hopes to paint the podium purple and gold once again, as Williams medley teams placed first through fifth in the 400 individual medley at the NESCAC Championships last year.

“Every year it is our goal to do better than we ever have before,” Ramsey said. “Last year we won NESCACs by the biggest margin yet, and we are planning to top that again.”

The team will open its regular season of competition on Saturday at Union in the first of three away meets. The Ephs will claim a home pool advantage for four of five meets in January.