Men’s track to depend on individual strengths for team success

Men’s indoor track and field looks to reassert itself as the dominant force in New England this season. At the helm are Head Coach Fletcher Brooks and co-captains Brian Cole ’11, Dan Franck ’11, Steve Rubin ’11 and Isaac Nicholson ’11.

“Our goal this year is to recapture the Div. III New England championship that was lost last year and to increase the number of qualifiers to the NCAA Championships in March in hopes of positioning ourselves for a top-four podium finish,” Brooks said.

The team has no lack of depth in the sprinting events. Last year’s standouts Jabulani Blyden ’13 and Rich Fusco ’12 are looking to build on already impressive careers. Both were on the outdoor national championship qualifying 4×400 meter relay team this past spring, and Blyden qualified in the 400-meter hurdles. Taylor Fitzgerald ’12 and Viktor Nagy ’12, returning All-Americans from two years ago, will compete after injuries last season.

In the distance and mid-distance events, the search is on for someone to fill the void left by NCAA 5000 meter champion Connor Kamm ’10; multiple all-region 5k to 10k performer Corey Watts ’10; and 800 meter competitor and repeat All-American Edgar Kosgey ’10. Brian Cole ’11, All-American in the 1500 meter last outdoor season in the spring, will be a force to be reckoned with in the mid-distance events, while Josephat Koima ’12 will build on his cross-country season and tally points for the Ephs in events ranging from the 800 meter to the 5000 meter. Anthony Raduazo ’12 will look to make the jump to competing for All-American honors this winter.

Isaac Nicholson ’11, Steve Rubin ’11 and Tomas Kearney ’12 will be counted on to dominate the jumping events. With Kearney, who earned All-American with his fourth-place finish in the triple jump at the indoor NCAA Championship, Nicholson, an NCAA national qualifier, and Rubin, a long and triple jump specialist, the team can rely on a solid core for points.

Rusty Cowher ’12, Syvad Young ’12 and Matt Farley ’11 will bring the heat in the throws. Stephen Simalchik ’13 will also compete in the throwing events this winter. Johnny Ray Hinojosa ’13 will again compete as the Ephs’ sole pole-vaulter.

Several first-years will likely have an immediate impact on the team. “Nehemiah Paramore [’14], Peter Drews [’14], Andrew Tobias [’14] and Richard Beaton [’14] will contribute right away at the regional level,” Brooks said.

“Williams track is poised to have a radical season,” Cole said.

The team opens its season Dec. 4 at the Smith College Invitational.