Men’s swimming preps to hold fast atop the NESCAC

Men’s swimming is poised to begin its season Saturday, returning all nine members of the group that claimed a ninth-place finish at the 2010 NCAA Div. III Championships.

Co-captain Gary Roberson ’11 said the team “wants to take off exactly where we left last year and keep going with that. Our team from last year was composed of juniors, sophomores and freshmen, so we have all the guys back this year that were at nationals last year.” The team wants to repeat last year’s undefeated NESCAC season.

Co-captain Andrew D’Ignazio ’11 listed “the 200 freestyle and all of the breaststroke events as well as the sprint freestyle” as having serious potential. Last year at Nationals, Roberson broke the school record for the 200 freestyle to come in third nationally.

The school record in the 100 freestyle was also shattered last year at Nationals: Ben Wampler ’12 placed second in the event.

Paul Dyrkacz ’13 was also impressive last year, finishing 14th nationally in the 200 breaststroke. “The freshman class last year made major contributions to our team,” D’Ignazio said.

Even though many of the men are looking to have strong seasons individually, the Ephs are focused on team wins. Williams had three relays claim top eight finishes last year, and the 200 freestyle relay team also set a new school record in the event.

D’Ignazio has high expectations for this year’s rookies. Chris Greeno ’14 will swim the breaststroke, Eric Liao ’14 the breaststroke and IM, Martin Soderstrom ’14 the breaststroke and freestyle and Sean Sutherland ’14 and Liam Gallagher ’14 the freestyle.

Roberson is looking forward to the Union meet. “It’ll be … great early season racing,” he said. “We’re getting some stiff competition in the NESCAC this year, but I think that’s just going to motivate us.”

Saturday’s meet will kick off at Union at 1 p.m.