Men’s squash primes for Harvard, Tufts

Men’s squash anticipates a competitive and challenging season ahead, following a hard-fought year that saw the Ephs secure 10th place nationally and second in the NESCAC. Fitted with a complement of promising rookies, the men look to retain their place among the best squads in the country and also their authoritative position in the NESCAC, second only to previously unstoppable Trinity. The abundance of close and fiercely competitive matchups last season promises a set of equally charged reunions in coming months with some of the Ephs’ closest rivals.

Though the Ephs will feel the loss of Andrew Bartsch ’10, Ethan Buchsbaum ’10, Christian Henze ’10 and Bernard Yaros ’10, this year’s squad looks to the assured play of its upperclassmen for its continued strength. Co-captains Will Gruner ’11 and Jeremy Herrmann ’11 and top-flight Will Morris ’12, all of whom made immense contributions to last year’s program, return to lead the team from the top of the lineup.

Depth of talent through the top nine will primarily be driven by a sophomore class that has surged up the ladder and supported by a formidable rookie trio consisting of Taylor Foehl ’14, Andy Maruca ’14 and Xander Kerman ’14. Herrmann seemed pleased with the quality of preseason preparation and optimistic with regard to the development of the lineup. “There’s no denying that we’ve lost a talented and influential group of seniors, but I’m looking forward to seeing what how the team improves to fill the void,” he said. “Our freshmen have worked hard and are really making their presence felt in the ladder. Overall, we have had a great preseason, and we’ve got the fitness to show for it. I know we’ll be ready for our matches this weekend.”

The men will travel to Cambridge, Mass., this weekend for back-to-back matches against Harvard and Tufts. Sunday’s matches will take place at 2:30 p.m. and 4 p.m., respectively.