Men’s soccer falls 2-1 to Babson

Men’s soccer (12-3-2, 6-1-2 in the NESCAC) saw its season end in the second round of NCAAs on Sunday. The men fell to Babson in a 2-1 double overtime loss in the team’s ninth extra-time game of the year. Sunday’s loss came on the heels of an encouraging 8-0 domination of Suffolk in Saturday’s first-round NCAA match-up.

Despite outshooting Babson 23-7 on Cole Field on Sunday, Williams simply couldn’t capitalize on the opportunities created by the team’s shooters. The first 30 minutes were a 0-0 stalemate, but forward Charlie Romero ’11 broke the tie at 30:06. Romero, whom co-captain Gaston Kelly ’11 had found in the top right corner of the box, sent a low shot flying past the Beavers’ keeper for a 1-0 advantage.

The Ephs’ lead did not last long, however: A Beaver cross was deflected by Doug Weinrib ’13 but flew in the wrong direction. Peter Morrell ’14 couldn’t block the ball in time, and the Ephs suddenly found themselves in a 1-1 tie after an own goal.

Williams outshot Babson 13-2 in the second half alone, but five saves by Beaver netminder Peter Crowley, when coupled with the Ephs’ difficulty finding the net, left the score at 1-1 as time expired. A scoreless first overtime period saw the men take just one shot, and time had almost expired in the second overtime before Babson found the net. In the eighth minute of the second 10-minute extra time period, a Babson cross was headed past Morrell into the back of the net for a 2-1 Beaver victory and the end of the Ephs’ season. Morrell had two saves on the game.

“We didn’t play poorly against Babson,” co-captain Joe Vella ’11 said when asked about the team’s play on Sunday. “They were lucky to save some of our shots, but that’s soccer. We know we were the better team and it was extremely disappointing [to lose], but we had a good season.”

Sunday’s disappointment followed an 8-0 showing against Suffolk on Saturday. Romero got the Ephs on the board at 4:04, collecting a Kiel Bonhomme ’11 cross in the box and redirecting the ball into the net. A free kick score by Vella opened the lead to 2-0 in the 15th minute. Both Romero and Vella tallied one more goal each before the first 45 minutes expired, giving Williams a 4-0 halftime lead.

The second half saw a number of Ephs contribute to the team’s success. Goals by Gordon Atkins ’11, Daniel Morrisroe ’12, Matt Kastner ’14 and User Kushaina ’14 saw the men dispatch Suffolk easily, finishing with an 8-0 score and 37 shots to their opponents’ three on the game. Morrell, Than Finan ’13 and Andrew Lyons-Berg ’11 all saw time in net.

The team’s season closed with Sunday’s loss, as did the careers of eight seniors. The men will graduate its top four scorers in Romero, Kelly, Bonhomme and Vella, but they hope that a strong contingency of underclassmen will step up to lead the team next year.