Homecoming proves successful, spirited

Despite cold air and cloudy skies, the current College community and alumni enjoyed a festive Homecoming weekend punctuated by a convincing football victory over Little Three competitor Wesleyan and a performance by hip-hop artist Kid Cudi.

Despite the excitement and a thriving party scene, the weekend passed without much incident.

“Overall, things were very good,” said Dave Boyer, director of Security. “The concert went off without a problem. It was very well organized and very well run. Considering the number of people, there were very few incidents.”

Boyer said that although the weekend saw more alcohol-related incidents than the average weekend at the College, it was “historically consistent with past Homecoming weekends.”
All Campus Entertainment (ACE) officially kicked off the celebrations Friday night with the well-publicized Kid Cudi concert, which featured opening acts Wallpaper and Chip Tha Ripper. According to ACE concert co-chair Thomas Daubert ’13, all 1100 concert tickets were sold in record time.

“The crowd got to see three hours of fun live music,” Daubert said. “So we definitely think Kid Cudi was worth the cost.”
According to Boyer, one surprise came with the underpopulation of Saturday night’s dance party in Greylock. “The party didn’t really have enough students to sustain itself,” he said. “Maybe students aren’t used to Greylock as a place for a party … I know we had capacity at Goodrich, with a waiting list outside.”
Boyer said officers encouraged students waiting in line at Goodrich on Saturday night to check out the other party.

The party held in the newly reopened Greylock Hall on Saturday was the annual “Purple and Gold Party,” sponsored by Spencer and Wood Neighborhoods.

The spirited theme, which typically attracts a large volume of students and alumni, was unable to overcome a number of logistical limitations with the space and only saw about 300 students throughout the night, according to hosts.

Mindy Lee ’12, Wood Neighborhood president, said that the newly repurposed building had new regulations that party organizers were not made aware of until fire marshals required that a certain number of lights be left on.

“There definitely was potential for a good dance party given the right lighting,” Lee said.

The rest of the weekend’s social offerings predominantly consisted of themed parties as well.

This year’s celebration also included the Williamstown Mountain Film Festival sponsored by the Williams Outing Club and a cheese tasting sponsored by Dodd Neighborhood.

Spencer and Wood Neighborhoods and the Black Student Union (BSU) covered Saturday’s social schedule.

The BSU’s “Black Star Affair Pt. Two” was held as a semi-formal event on Saturday night in Goodrich.

Dodd Neighborhood held a tailgate as well as a cheese-tasting event which was co-sponsored by the Williams Cheese Club.
What is most important to us is that residents had many opportunities to engage with others within the Dodd community and enjoy the weekend,” said Lauren Zachary ’12, a member of the Dodd Neighborhood Board.

Although there was no sponsored competition to motivate tailgaters this year, the College community was nonetheless offered an impressive spread served from the backs of numerous vehicles during Saturday’s game.

Many groups saw the tailgates as established practice.
According to Greg Kim, co-president of American-Asian Students in Action (AASiA), “AASiA tailgates pretty much every year as a tradition; the challenge lies in coordinating our three subgroups, and making sure they’re all represented at the tailgate.”

Boyer said one of the most “amazing” tailgates he saw on Saturday was that of Wood Neighborhood, which offered, among other things, bratwurst and teriyaki chicken.

“I’d never seen someone who had prepared so much food and did such a good job,” he said.

Although the tailgate competition was not held this year, Boyer said, “If I was the judge, I definitely would have picked them.”