Sailing claims 7th at Underdog Trophy

Sailing competed in the Underdog Trophy Regatta hosted by Brandeis at Boston University this weekend, competing against 10 other small schools for a spot at the Atlantic Coast Tournament (ACT).

Sunday saw winds gusting at 15-22 knots and eight races on the day, three in ‘A’ division and five in ‘B’ division. ‘B’ division’s Josh Revkin ’13 and Molly McEntee ’14 had a strong start, but a boat malfunction in their second race contributed to an 11th place finish overall.

The ‘A’ division team of co-captain Andrew Lorenzen ’12 and Emily Cook ’13 had its best race of the day near the end, getting a good start and major lift in the 10th race, taking the pair on a starboard tack all the way to the windward mark. They finished in first place, seven boat lengths ahead of the entire fleet.

“It was a great feeling,” Lorenzen said. “Despite less than ideal conditions, we had a strong finish to our season.”

Saturday dawned with winds gusting at 15-22 knots on the Charles River. Shifting conditions caused at least one capsize every set, but Williams held strong without a single mishap.

Eight races were sailed in ‘A’ division and six races in ‘B’ division in FJs on a W4 course.

The Ephs improved steadily throughout the day, starting with seventh place finishes for the ‘A’ division team of Lorenzen and Cook, who pulled ahead to finish fourth in both races of the final set.

“This season we had a tougher schedule than we’ve had in the past,” Coach Rich Cote said. “The team has really risen to the occasion. All of our new sailors have really improved and we’re well prepared for the spring.”

UConn sailed away with the trophy and will head to the ACT in two weeks. Williams placed seventh in ‘A’ division, 11th in ‘B’ division and ninth overall. Williams finished the season ranked 31st out of 34 schools in the New England Intercollegiate Sailing Association.

The team plans on using the winter to teach tactics and skills and will start the spring season when the ice melts.