Men’s crew shows team’s depth at Head of Fish

Men’s crew posted solid results in the varsity eights, varsity fours, novice eights and novice fours events at the Head of the Fish in Saratoga, N.Y. on Saturday. The strongest varsity crew was the ‘B’ boat in both events, racing to fourth in the eights event and second in the fours.

Racing two equally matched boats in the varsity events, Williams captured fourth and eighth in the eights race and took second and fifth in the fours. The two boats’ comparable performances indicate the breadth and depth of the Eph squad: The ‘B’ boat outpaced the ‘A’ boat by eight seconds in the eights race to post a time of 11:24:01 and again beat the ‘A’ boat’s time in the fours, finishing in 13:23:57 ahead of the ‘A’ boat’s 13:46:84. Colgate took first in the eights, while New York Maritime’s crew took the top spot in the fours race.

A number of rookie Ephs debuted on Saturday in the men’s novice eights and fours races. The first-years showed great promise, taking second in the eights out of a competitive field in a time of 12:48:03. Hobart claimed first, beating Williams by nearly 23 seconds. Two Williams boats raced in the novice fours race: The ‘A’ boat took first in 12:46:69, with its counterpart ‘B’ boat finishing in 12th.

“We had a solid performance all-around last weekend,” tri-captain Joey Kiernan ’11 said. “Everyone on the team showed great flexibility and we were able to put together some really solid lineups.”

Kiernan also commented on the men’s success overall this season. “This fall was a great success for the whole program and really a testament to the enormous amount of effort and preparation the team put in,” he said. “If anything, I think our results are just a sign of how close spring racing is going to be.”

Dan Costanza ’11 echoed Kiernan’s sentiments regarding the fall season as a whole, emphasizing a desire to build on the men’s success thus far. “All in all the fall was good, [though] it was a bit disappointing not to win the Charles. But we rowed very well and are well placed to compete nationally in the spring if we put in enough hours of fitness this winter.”

The Head of the Fish wraps up the men’s three-weekend fall racing season. The Ephs will resume competition in a few months but will now retire for the winter to train and condition in preparation for the more important spring season.