Women’s rugby downs Siena 32-14 to close out fall season

After a frustrating loss to Wellesley last weekend, women’s rugby decided to take the end of the season into its own hands. Stellar maneuvering by match secretary Casey Lyons ’11 resulted in a last-minute match on Saturday against Siena, a team in the New York league. The WWRFC practiced hard despite freezing rain and cold throughout the week and was ready for Siena by the weekend. Though surprised by the miniature pitch bordered by a hill and a swamp, which necessitated uphill runs and foraging through nature, the White Dawgs were nonetheless prepared to win.

Williams started B-side players in the A-side match and still indicated that the team was more than a match for Siena: The White Dawgs put up five points in the first five minutes with a try by rookie Jasmine Adekoya ’13. However, Siena retaliated with a try of its own and took the lead 7-5 after making the kick. Another Siena try was evenly matched with a Williams try by Aubree Stephens ’12 and a kick by Meagan Braun ’12, bringing the score to 14-12 Siena. In spite of hard pressure on their end of the pitch, the White Dawgs were able to hold the Saints to a slim two-point lead until the end of the half.

The White Dawgs brought in the remainder of their players for the second half, and Williams proceeded to dominate Siena. Another impressive try by Adekoya, who ran the ball up from the backfield, started the Williams scoring run. The scrummies picked up where the linies had left off, with a solid try by prop Dilia Ortega ’13, who could be heard yelling “I ran! Did you see me? I ran!” This was followed with tries by prop Xio Pinto ’12 and yet another score by Lyons in the last play of the game. It was clear that the White Dawgs came to this game ready to put it all out there, as indicated by the final score of 32-14.

Not only did the women win, but the match was also an excellent learning experience and opportunity to try out new things. There is much hope for the spring season as the WWRFC continues to build on recent success. Saturday’s non-league match marked the end of the fall season: The White Dawgs will resume domination in the unofficial spring season and hope to build off the foundation of experience and success they have acquired during the fall season.