Men’s crew takes 2nd at Charles

Men’s crew rowed to second at the Head of the Charles on Sunday, finishing just 10 seconds behind the Florida Institute of Technology. Both Williams’ and FIT’s finishing times outpaced the previous course record. Williams finished three seconds ahead of its closest NESCAC competitor, Trinity.

Thanks to a first-place finish last year, the Ephs were able to claim a start at the front of the pack. The team had targeted the Bantams as the crew to beat after Trinity outpaced Williams last season. Trinity pulled ahead of the men partway through the race after the two teams clocked in with identical times midway through the course. The Ephs, however, were able to rally and pull ahead of the Bantams. Williams finished with a time of 14:54.354.

FIT posed a trickier challenge for the men. Due to the nature of the race starts at the Charles, FIT was out of Williams’ view for the entirety of the race, giving the men no real chance to overcome the boat’s 10-second lead.

“I think everyone was pretty pleased with the results from this weekend,” co-captain Joey Kiernan ’11 said. “The 1V had a great race and broke the course record to get our third medal in three years.”

The 2V also competed in the 1V race, taking 15th overall ahead of 1V competition. The Ephs were only one of two 2Vs competing in the varsity race and finished less than a minute behind their 1V counterparts, clocking in at 15:39.766.

Kiernan praised the 2V’s efforts as well. “The 2V had a great race, beating a wide variety of top boats from other programs and qualifying for an entry next year,” he said.

The men look to wrap up their three-weekend fall season at their third and final race, the Head of the Fish, in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., on Sunday. “We will be putting in the time and effort to get everyone in the whole program faster as we look toward the Head of the Fish this weekend,” Kiernan said. The team will then retire for the winter in preparation for the spring season.