Committee finalized in search for director of campus security

The search committee for the director of Campus Safety and Security recently publicized the job listing for the position, posting a full hiring advertisement on the Human Resources website yesterday. According to the listing, application materials are due by Nov. 12 “for optimal consideration,” and the search “will continue until the position is filled.” The search committee was finalized on Oct. 18.

David Edwards, professor of anthropology and sociology, will chair the committee, which includes seven other members: Ruth Harrison, director of Health Services; Jim Kolesar, assistant to the president for Public Affairs; Marlene Sandstrom, professor of psychology and chair of the Committee on Undergraduate Life; Doug Schiazza, director of Campus Life; Stephen Sneed, associate dean of the College and two students, Bridget Ngcobo ’12 and Glenn Yong ’11. Ngcobo and Yong were elected to the committee by College Council.

Edwards, a former dean of the College, has worked closely with Security in the past. “I bring to the role a sense of and appreciation for the work that the Security office does, how important a job they fulfill and how it is a job that they get little credit for except when something goes wrong, which fortunately rarely happens,” Edwards said.

According to Dean Bolton, the committee and the search process are standard practice. Once the committee pulls together a pool of candidates, a wider group of College employees, including Bolton, will interview the candidates. Application reviews are slated to begin by November and on-campus interviews will be held “probably in January, with a job offer made sometime after that,” according to Edwards.

“Our goal is still to try to have the process completed around January or so,” Bolton said, although she did cite the previous position held by the selected hire as a consideration for when the new director can be installed.

“[The director of Security] is a really important position on campus,” Bolton said. “Security officers interact with students in all sorts of ways in planning events and thinking of things they’d like to approve on campus, obviously also supporting students finding themselves in difficulty and crises … Certainly this is a really crucial position, and we are looking forward to conversations developing as result of the search.”

The job listing states that candidates must possess “the ability to work collaboratively and positively with others, including the general student population as well as student leaders” as well as at least 10 years of experience in a position of public safety or security. As to the pool of applicants, Edwards said the committee “will cast the net as far as seems necessary to develop a good pool of candidates” by putting the listing in various places.

“We advertise and solicit applications for employment opportunities in national publications, specialized professional journals, alumni networks and local and regional online posting sources,” said Employment Manager Danielle Gonzalez.
Edwards highlighted the importance of ensuring a strong security staff on campus.

“The Security office plays a central role on campus, not only in terms of providing security – which is obviously the indispensable role they play – but also in terms of helping to instill and maintain a strong sense of community,” Edwards said. “[Former Director] Jean Thorndike did a great deal to professionalize the office and make it a vital part of the College community. We hope to build on the good work she did.”
Interim director of Security Dave Boyer declined to comment on the search as he is applying for the position.