Yale bests men’s crew in season opener

Men’s crew opened its season on Oct. 9 at the Head of the Housatonic. The men mounted an impressive inaugural performance, as the 1V came in fifth behind four strong Yale boats, while the 2V claimed second, the 3V ninth and the novice eight second in their respective races.

Tough conditions and a strong headwind proved a challenge for the men, but the Ephs powered through the weather to notch impressive finishes in the first race of the fall season.

The 1V faced stiff competition from Yale: Bulldog crews claimed the first four positions crossing the finish line, with the Ephs just behind in a time of 15:24.996.

Meanwhile, the 2V proved a formidable opponent. Going up against competitors from Fordham, the US Coast Guard and University of Massachusetts, Williams came in second only five seconds behind first-place finisher Wesleyan. The men finished in a time of 15:28.304 on the day.

The 3V, racing amidst 2V crews from a number of other schools, claimed ninth place in a time of 17:38.854. The novice boat rounded out the day with a second-place finish just two minutes behind Brown University’s boat.

“The JV and frosh had superb days,” Dan Costanza ’11 said. “The varsity rowed well, losing only to Yale rowing into a strong headwind.”

The team is already looking critically at its performance in order to improve. “We’ve made a few changes to the lineup for the Charles, in particular bringing John Gorman [’13] in from the JV to stroke the varsity, bringing with him a longer rhythm into the boat, while shifting Joey Kiernan [’11] to two-seat,” Costanza continued. Costanza has also shifted, switching to starboard to “fortify that side.”

The men will next row in the Head of the Charles this Saturday and Sunday. They look to round out their fall season with one more competition at the Head of the Fish on Oct. 31.