Women’s soccer drops Bowdoin

Women’s soccer (8-3-1, 4-2-1 in the NESCAC) garnered its fourth NESCAC victory of the season against Bowdoin on Saturday. The Ephs took an early lead and never relinquished it, finishing the game with a 4-2 win. The women also played two games during reading period, dropping Trinity 2-1 on Oct. 12 after losing 2-1 to Bates on Oct. 9. The team also dropped Keene State in a non-conference game Oct. 6.

Williams got on the board early on Saturday with a goal in the 13th minute by tri-captain Tyler Rainer ’11, who scored off an assist from Caitlyn Clark ’13. The Ephs expanded their 1-0 lead with another goal by Annelise Snyder ’11 in the 29th minute. Bowdoin, however, snuck a shot past goalie Laura Wann ’14 with 6:13 left to end the half down 2-1. The Ephs outshot the Polar Bears 12-5 in the first 45 minutes.

The first goal of the second half came more than 15 minutes in, when Sara Wild ’11 capitalized on a pass from Hayley Cook ’14 to extend the Ephs’ lead to 3-1. Williams continued to outshoot Bowdoin in the second half, with 11 attempts on goal to Bowdoin’s one. The Polar Bears’ single shot – a penalty kick – was the result of an Eph handball in the 87th minute. Bowdoin’s Ellery Gould took the kick and found the back of the net, bringing the score to 3-2. Williams followed up with a goal in the last two minutes of play, as Clark tallied her second goal of the day with help from Kristine Nakada ’13.

“This Saturday was a great team win,” tri-captain Kara Duggan ’11 said. “We had a lot of different people contributing all over the field and really took care of putting the ball in the back of the net.”

The women ended reading period on a high note with a 2-1 win against Trinity in overtime on Oct. 12. After a scoreless first half, during which the Ephs outshot the Bantams 8-0, Wild scored the first goal of the game for Williams in the 52nd minute. Trinity managed to score in the 79th minute for a 1-1 tie, sending the game into overtime. Williams answered quickly with a goal by Brett Eisenhart ’12 about three minutes into overtime for the 2-1 victory. Williams keeper Julia Schreiber ’11 recorded four saves on the game, while the Ephs outshot the Bantams 17-9.

Despite a dominant shooting performance against Bates on Oct. 9, Williams fell 2-1 for the team’s second straight NESCAC loss. The Bobcats pulled ahead 1-0 in the 10th minute of play after a shot sailed over Schreiber’s head. Eisenhart evened the score at 1-1 in the 20th minute with her seventh goal of the year. Williams couldn’t capitalize again, however, despite tallying a total of 30 shots over the course of the game. Bates broke the tie in the 83rd minute, leaving the women with insufficient time to respond and ending the game 2-1.

“While the loss to Bates was difficult, the overtime win against Trinity has put us in great position going into the final stretch of the season,” Duggan said. “We hope to use the momentum from our past two league games to carry us through the final games of the season. Tufts and Middlebury have always been great teams, so we are really looking forward to playing each of them.”

Williams defeated Keene State 2-1 in a rain-soaked game on Oct. 6 thanks to goals by Duggan and Eisenhart. Schreiber recorded five saves on the game as the Ephs outshot the Owls 18-11.

The women have two games left on the season. This Saturday they will travel to Tufts, where play will commence at 12:30 p.m. Williams will then take on Middlebury at home on Oct. 29.