Women’s rugby falls to Wellesley 41-3

Fresh off a strong win against Smith and the long weekend, women’s rugby got in solid practice time before trekking to Wellesley for the team’s final game of the league season. Despite nasty weather at Williams, Wellesley had sunny enough conditions, though gale-force winds shook the extremely sketchy portable uprights. Once past the confusion of being told to “just focus on the yellow lines; the white ones are for soccer,” the White Dawgs got the match underway.

The women were the first to put points on the board, with an excellent three-point kick by flyhalf Meagan Braun ’12. However, shortly thereafter, fullback Ariana Gonzalez ’13 was taken out following a cleat to the forehead and retired to the hospital for a total of six stitches. Cards and other tokens of affection and well-wishing may be sent to SU Box 1201. Gonzalez’s departure forced positional shuffling that rattled the White Dawgs’ game.

Wellesley began to rack up points in spite of stellar backfield play by scrum captain Leah Lansdowne ’11 in her first-ever appearance as fullback. Even with the tries scored, Wellesley’s kicker missed a number of kicks and was repeatedly stuffed by the uprights. Still, the WWRFC was unable to recover, and the final score came in at 41-3.

Williams was able to scrape together a B-side for Wellesley’s extra players and even claimed the win. Despite exhaustion and weariness, the women held Wellesley’s B-side to five points. Isabel Vazquez ’14 scored her rookie try, followed by another by rookie Nayahra Resende ’13. Lansdowne came through with two solid conversion kicks, bringing the White Dawgs’ total to 14 for a final score of 14-5.

This loss nudges Williams out of the Div. II playoffs, but the WWRFC will play in a consolation match next weekend. The location, time and opponent are as yet unknown, but fans can expect a strong final showing from this season’s White Dawgs.