Skidmore, Bowdoin top field hockey in NESCAC weekend

Women’s field hockey (2-9, 1-6 in the NESCAC) fell to Skidmore after a dominant first 20 minutes on Sunday. The team fell to Bowdoin 1-0 on Saturday after struggling to overcome Hamilton on Wednesday, following a close loss to Bates on Oct. 9.

Despite a 1-0 lead amassed early in the game, Williams fell 5-2 to ninth-ranked Skidmore on Sunday. Karyn Moss ’12 crossed a shot through the circle, putting the Ephs up 1-0 5:28 into the game. Tri-captain and netminder Katrina Tulla ’11, with the help of the defense, held Skidmore off for 15 minutes until Annie Rosencrans was able to put her team on the board, initiating a scoring barrage that went unanswered until the end of the second period. Tulla had 13 saves on Sunday.

Another Skidmore goal just before the 33-minute mark put the Thoroughbreds up 2-1 heading into the second half. Skidmore had outshot the women 15-1 in the first period, but Williams stepped up its game to narrow the shooting gap to 12-8. Three more Thoroughbred goals brought the score to 4-1 with just 17 minutes left. Margie Fulton ’12 again came up big with a goal at 65:11, but time ran out with Williams down 5-2.

Bowdoin pulled ahead of Williams in the last minutes of a hard-fought game on Saturday to notch a 1-0 win. The Polar Bears, who remain undefeated in the NESCAC, put up a powerful offensive that the Ephs couldn’t quite hold off for the entire 70 minutes.

Bowdoin outshot the women 23-3 on the game, also claiming a 19-0 advantage on penalty corners, but the defense shut out the Polar Bears until just over 10 minutes left in the second period. Bowdoin tallied a goal while Williams was down a player, as Nicolle Perry ’13 was serving a penalty.

Williams looked poised to beat Hamilton on Wednesday, as Fulton put her team up 2-0 by the 13-minute mark. The Continentals came out strong after halftime, however, outshooting the Ephs 11-5 in the second period. Two Hamilton goals saw the teams tied as time wound down. Just five minutes into overtime, Hamilton’s Nikki Haskins snuck a ball past Tulla, claiming the win for her team with a 3-2 finish.

“It’s been a rough month,” Head Coach Alix Barrale said. “We have been playing our best hockey as a team these past three games against the toughest competition. It has been challenging, but I am proud of the way the team has responded to disappointment.”

The women’s Oct. 9 1-0 loss to Bates saw an early goal push the Bobcats just above the Ephs. After a 9:43 Bates goal, the teams proved evenly matched, with Williams outshooting Bates 18-17 on the day.

The women will host Union tonight at 4:30 p.m. before traveling to Tufts for a 1 p.m. game on Saturday.